Zolana-He Said

Alana's POV

Zoe and I were hanging out at her house one Friday night. It had been three months since I had developed a crush on her, and it was killing me. She and I sat on her bed, While I was fiddling with her jazz band guitar, while she was watching Doctor Who. After a few chords, Zoe turned her head toward me.

"Does Evan ever say anything about me?" She asked.

"About you?" I responded.

"I mean sometimes, if he brought it up. I mean, he thinks that you are," I paused, trying to find the right words to say to her. "Awesome."

"He thinks I'm 'awesome'?" She giggled. "Evan Hansen?"

"Definitely."

"How?" She smiled. I could never get enough of her smile. It radiates through all sadness, and can fill you with joy that lasts forever.

"Well. Like..." I panicked, my heart beating loudly. "Whenever you have a solo. In jazz band. You close your eyes, and you get this-you probably don't even know you're doing this. But you get this half smile. Like you've heard the funniest thing in the world, but it's a secret, and you can't tell anybody. But then, the way you smile, it's sort of like you're letting us on the secret too."

Zoe looked unimpressed. I start to strum the guitar nervously. I figured out how to make a beat with that, and turned it into song.

"He said
There's nothing like your smile
Sort of subtle and perfect and real
He said
You never knew how wonderful
That smile could make someone feel
And he knew
Whenever you get bored
You scribble stars on the cuffs of your jeans
And he noticed
That you still fill out the quizzes
That they put in those teen magazines
But he kept it all inside his head
What he saw he left unsaid
And though he wanted to
He couldn't talk to you
He couldn't find the way
But he would always say
If I could tell her
Tell her everything I see
If I could tell her
How she's everything to me
But we're a million worlds apart
And I don't know how I would even start
If I could tell her
If I could tell her..." I sang to her. I kept strumming the guitar after, to keep my hands from shaking too much. She laughed, and I could barely contain myself from squealing like a little girl.