Make My Wish Come True

13,000 words + its cute + its Christmas-y + its November but no one cares :)

25 days till Christmas

It’s as Ryan wipes down the last table in his small café, TheCoffeeShop, that the door swings open. The annoying Christmas jingle that replaced the usual bell as the Christmas season started begins to play. “We’re closed,” Ryan says automatically, not even turning around to see who it is.

“Shit,” the person says, “Look, I’m sorry, but can I just stand here to call my friend? It’s raining and cold outside, I won’t be two minutes, I swear.”

The person sounds pretty distressed, and Ryan throws his cloth onto the side before saying, “Sure.”

“Thank you,” the person breathes and Ryan finally turns round to look at them.

The man is pulling out his phone and scrolling through what must be his contact list. He gives Ryan a quick glance and a half-smile as he puts the phone to his ear and waits for the person to pick up. “Dallon? Dallon, I need you to come and get me.” There’s a pause as the other person – Dallon – says something, and then the stranger says, “No, fuck you, I’m not lost. And I’m not drunk, ugh. Look, there’s some guy here listening to my conversation, I’ll explain it when I see you. Come and get me. Wait, let me get the address.”

The guy looks across at Ryan, who could not possibly be more interested in that phone conversation. Ryan doesn’t even wait for him to ask and rattles off the address, leaning back up against the counter and watching as the guy relays it to his friend.

They talk for a few moments more, enough to confirm that Dallon is actually coming, and then the stranger hangs up.

There’s a moment of silence, and then they both try to speak at the same time.

-        “He won’t be long I’ll just go and wait outside.”

-        “Do you want to wait in here, we have coffee?”

The stranger freezes, then, “Coffee would be good,” he says slowly. The Christmas lights in the window flash obnoxiously behind him and Ryan nods.

“What’s your name?”

The man hesitates, and Ryan can’t help but think that there’s something odd about that. “Brendon,” he says carefully.

Ryan nods and he gives Brendon a smile as he says, “I’m Ryan. What coffee do you want?”

Brendon seems to relax a little and he perches on the edge of one of the tables, saying, “Which is your favourite of your Winter Specials?”

Ryan shrugs and smiles a little shyly, “The cranberry and white chocolate hot chocolate, probably, but that’s not coffee.”

Brendon smiles, “That sounds perfect.”

Ryan turns his back on Brendon as he sets about making the drinks. He hears Brendon stand up behind him and walk across the room. Ryan turns to watch him, a little cautious about this man, though he seems normal.

Brendon’s looking at the Christmas Wishes wall and his fingers trail across the words on the pieces of card as he reads a few.

Ryan speaks up, “My friend started that and it seemed to really catch on.”

Brendon looks at him with a smile and says, “Would you mind if I added one?”

Ryan shrugs, “Go for it.”

He leaves Brendon to his scribbling as he finishes off the drinks. Carrying them across to Brendon, he watches the other man attach the card to the wall. “What’s your Christmas Wish?” Ryan asks, curiously, as he takes a sip of the too-hot hot chocolate.