Just A Dash Of Fairy-maldehyde [2]

Sunday passed by torturously slowly.

Brendon sauntered around the woods, his sneakers grabbing at soggy leaves as he tried not let any thoughts of Ryan or Ryan's soft, sugary lips or Ryan's sparkling, golden eyes or Ryan's messy, silky curls or long, skinny legs or how much he missed the way he smiled at animals like they were neighbors or the way he tilted his head to the side when he laughed implant themselves in his brain. Unfortunately, trying was not succeeding.

He thought about going home. He thought about quitting moping around, feeling sorry for himself and watching the game instead, drinking hot chocolate and forgetting about the idea of Ryan and Dan looking at the same thing he was, Ryan snuggled into Dan's arms, his cute button nose frosted pink from the cold as Dan booed a call the refs made, Ryan looking up at Dan with that glowing smile, happy to be where he was. He shook his head and kept walking. It seemed eerily quiet and spacious without him, all the birds were silenced, the absence of Ryan's excited jingles haunted Brendon's every step. Brendon didn't like it at all. Brendon wanted his jingles back.

He slumped his shoulders, dropping his eyes to the ground. He missed Ryan's voice. Missed Ryan's laugh. Brendon wondered if Dan could make him laugh.

He sighed deeply, shaking his head. This was sad, he needed to get over himself.

He didn't even flinch as a furry, gray ball tumbled through his legs, breaking the desolate silence.

"Hi." He said flatly. The squirrel looked over at him as he stopped walking, the sound of his sneakers pushing away leaves silencing. "Nice out, isn't it?" He scrunched his nose up, looking around at the mostly-bare trees aimlessly. This was really sad. If only his classmates could see him now, their future homecoming king brooding and heartbroken alone in the woods, talking his problems out to a squirrel. This was fucking pathetic.

The squirrel looked up at him with wide eyes, cocking its head to the side in a questioning manner.

"He's not here today." He mumbled, letting his feet find their way to their spot as the squirrel bounced after him. He thought about shooing it away, but ultimately let his loneliness decide he could use the company.

Brendon sighed. The trees looked more barren than yesterday. Their spot, once bright and familiar felt empty, Ryan-less. The words had lost their luster. Instead, they made Brendon feel hollow, like there was a giant hole punctured through his heart. A rather skinny, tall, Ryan-shaped hole.

Brendon bit his lip. He slumped against his tree, feeling sad. Brendon wondered if Ryan had done his cute levitating act at all or accidentally caused vines to crawl up any of the rival players' legs. Maybe he had made tulips or roses appear out of thin air for Dan. Ryan was precious.

He missed him.

He sighed, remembering the way Ryan's lips moved against his delicately, the way he felt soft and fragile in his arms, like if Brendon had squeezed him too tight he would break. Ryan had demanded a lot of kissing practice throughout the day which caught Brendon off guard more often than not, kissing him in random bursts. Brendon had tried not to get used to it, but melted helplessly into Ryan's lips every time. He missed kissing practice. He missed Ryan.

"What the fuck am I doing?" He asked the squirrel, letting out a harsh breath and resting his elbows on his knees. The squirrel, much to Brendon's relief, did not respond.

Stupid Dan was probably explaining what a body-check was to Ryan, his arms around him, smiling into his soft hair. Brendon scowled at the thought. He wanted to be the one to explain what a body-check was to Ryan. He wanted to be the one to invite Ryan to watch his practices and kiss him goodbye in the middle of the parking lot before school and he wanted to be the one Ryan came over to after games and gave him a tight, excited hug, not minding he was all sweaty and gross because he was his boyfriend. Stupid Dan was holding everything he had ever wanted in a guy as Brendon sat in the woods, cold, lonely and miserable.