Orange You Glad I Saved You From The Piranha-nas?

Kid!fic

“Spencerrrrr!” Ryan whines, plopping down on the small, dusty mound of racetrack that he and Spencer have been driving their racecars over for the past hour. “Spencer, it’s really hot out here, can’t we go inside now?”

Spencer rolls his eyes dramatically and looks up from his cherry red Mustang and says, “No, Ryan. Brendon and Jon will be here any minute and they might want to play racecars, too.”

“But Spencer,” Ryan groans, nudging away his electric blue Lamborghini with a pout. “I’m sweating. You know I don’t like to sweat.” 

Spencer sees the small trickle of perspiration trailing down the side of his face before Ryan wipes it away with his hand. He smears dirt across his cheek on accident and Spencer giggles.

“What?” Ryan huffs, looking annoyed and squinting up at his friend through the blinding Vegas sun.

“You got dirt on your face, silly,” Spencer grins, wide and open. “Lemme get it off for you,” he says, licking his thumb and leaning over to smudge it off Ryan’s cheek.

Ryan protests with, “Ew! That’s gross, Spencer!” and slaps away Spencer’s pudgy, encroaching hand. Undaunted, Spencer grins devilishly and pounces on Ryan, no longer with the intention to wipe off his face like a mother. Flailing his small limbs in an attempt to ward Spencer off as he advances with a wet thumb, Ryan yelps, “Hey!”

“My mommy does it all the time, stop whining,” Spencer says defiantly and manages to pin Ryan down despite his squeal. This makes Spencer giggle like no other and Ryan’s always liked Spencer’s laugh so he finds himself joining in the amusement. Somehow, this turns into a tickle war/wrestling match and by the time they’re both sprawled out on the ground, panting through laughter, they’re covered in loose dirt and dry, dead grass. They catch their breath, staring up at the blue sky overhead and just as Spencer’s about to point out that the cloud just over the top of that tree in Mrs. Mulligan’s yard looks like a sailboat, the back door slides open and he can hear his mother and another woman talking about “overnight clothes” and “extra toothbrushes” and suddenly-

“RYAN!”

Brendon comes running across the yard in leaps and bounds and Ryan barely has enough time to sit up and focus his eyes before Brendon tackle-hugs him into the strongest hug his little arms can manage.

With a grin so big Ryan can feel it pressed into his neck, Brendon cries, “RYAN! I missed you! I haven’t seen you in forever!”

Giggling because Brendon’s breath and words are bouncing off his neck, Ryan tucks his shoulders up to his ears and pushes Brendon away playfully. He smiles brightly when Brendon’s shaggy mop of hair comes into view and he says, “It’s only been a few hours, Bden. I saw you at school earlier.”

“I know,” Brendon urges, tugging on Ryan’s hand a bit to add emphasis to his apparent extreme deficiency in Ryan Time. “But Miss Anna made me pick up Gabe’s mess right before nap time and after I put everything away, everyone was sleeping and you were in the center of the mat so I couldn’t get to you,” Brendon says, obviously saddened by the misfortune that was nap time earlier today.

(It really was a tragedy. Brendon had scurried as fast as he could to clean up the Crayons that Gabe had strewn all over the floor and as soon as he’d put them back into the coloring box, he’d rushed over to the mat to claim a sleeping spot next to Ryan. However, he’d come face to face with a sea of silent bodies, all on the verge of sleep and Ryan was in the very center as always (Ryan told Brendon not to tell anyone else, but he didn’t like sleeping on the outside of the mat, only the center, because he liked feeling surrounded). Brendon ended up staring at the maze of slumbering children with watery eyes and a trembling lower lip until Miss Anna handed him a pillow and a blanket and ushered him over to the desolate corner of the mat where he curled up cold and Ryan-less.)