Big Gestures Usually End With You Flat On Your Ass

Summary: Kinda a crackfic! When Ryan realizes that his band is drifting apart, he tries to make everything better. Too bad he’s an epic failboat.

Sometimes, and this isn’t something that Ryan usually admits to, but sometimes Ryan Ross likes to go on livejournal. For the most part, he stays away from the fanfiction - for the most part. More often than not, though, when he gets up the nerve to sign into his livejournal, he just goes straight to more neutral sites. Just to see what the fans are up to.

Not to feed his own ego or anything. Really.

Some of the posts are just honest to god “Why I love :insert band member name here:” posts, and Ryan only reads the one on himself. Okay, he reads them all, but just to see how accurate people are. Sure, Spencer has stylish shoes, but people have sorely forgotten to mention how great Ryan’s own footwear choices are.

He’s reading down a couple more posts, ones about the new tour dates that people are excited about (and thankfully, this time Ryan actually heard ahead of time that they’re playing), when he sees a small post.

It’s in patdquestions, which Ryan sometimes checks if he needs to remember exactly what day Jon’s birthday is or if Spencer is allergic to peanuts or not – Ryan could swear that it was Brendon.

Is the band breaking up?

He stares at the question for a moment, because what?

Of course they aren’t breaking up! They love playing together and being together and…And just then, Ryan realizes that’s it’s been almost two weeks since he’s even so much as twitter replied Spencer or Brendon (actually, he’s never twitter replied Brendon. Just hasn’t seen the point when there’s direct message and texts.). He still sees Jon, though! That counts for something!

Ryan sits there, thinking about just how much time he hasn’t been spending with his band lately, thinking about how much work they really aren’t getting done on the third album – though Jon and Eric managed to make a song in an afternoon that they posted online – when he suddenly has the thought: what if they are breaking up?!

Panic seizes Ryan. Oh, god he thinks I have to do something about this!.

So, he pulls out one of his notebooks, one that has half-written lyrics scribbled over on the beginning pages and messily drawn pictures of ninja turtles toward the end, and puts his pen to the paper.

How to save the band he writes, thinking for a moment about adding and thereby not subjecting myself to a life of pretentious poverty, but he decides against it.

He looks down at the paper, only that small phrase written, and he bites his lower lip, trying to think of a good strategy.

Fuck, this is hard.

---

One. Remind Spencer that we’re childhood best friends who should never ever leave each other’s side.

Ryan knocks on Spencer’s door, the two plastic bags swinging as his arm falls back to its place near his side. It doesn’t take Spencer long to answer the door, and when Ryan hears the turning of the knob, he holds up the bags.

“I couldn’t find a Port of Subs, so I got us Subway!” Ryan says, handing Spencer his bag. “I got your favorite: turkey with provolone cheese, extra mayo, no onions. “ He grins, proud at himself for remembering Spencer’s order. “And there’s sour cream and onion chips in there, too.” It took Ryan a while to find a sub shop, but he knows that it’ll definitely be worth it. Spencer loves subs.

The bag, however, the bag full of a sub that Ryan made sure was perfectly made, is hanging off of one of Spencer’s outstretched fingers, and he’s staring at Ryan. “Um, hi,” he says.