Office Of Love

Ever since Ryan broke his left wrist helping his best friend Spencer paint the ceiling in his living room three years ago, he has been going to the same doctor. It was in between his incredible amount of pain and immediate X-Ray that Dr. Jon Walker and Spencer fell in love. Or something like that. So, continuing to do to that particular practice settled into a comfortable routine the longer his friends stayed together; days turned into months and months into years and now it's the only place he knows anymore. After all, he trusts Jon, and by default and years of relationship building, he also trusts the doctors Jon works with. Conflict of interests means Jon is no longer able to be his doctor, but everyone else in the office knows him and Spencer well enough that they're all on a first name basis now; from the doctors to the nurses right on down to the receptionists at the front desk. (Though Pete insists on calling him Rossy-Baby, for whatever reason, however inappropriate. Ryan doesn't ask.) And when Ryan is told by his new job that he is required to get a complete physical before he can start is class as a kick-boxing instructor, it's only natural he calls up Jon and requests an appointment the following morning. He knows it's a little short notice, but Patrick always manages to squeeze him in. Ryan used to feel bad about it, like he was taking advantage of the connections he had through Jon, but Patrick always informed him (in a vaguely ominous way) that it is never a problem, and he isn't committing any sort of crime by telling Ryan to come in whenever, so he should stop feeling guilty.

Patrick had said that two years ago, Ryan thinks as he locks the door to his car and slips his keys into his pocket, heading for the entrance of the building. He's gotten past the phase where he felt like he was nothing more than a burden. That, and he mostly knows the schedule and hours, so he does his best to show up in between appointments. If he can't, though, or if he shows up a little early, he can patiently wait until after. He's no longer pushy or impatient like he used to be, either. It's fairly busy for being a week day, he notices as he walks into the waiting room. He may not be seen for awhile, which is fine, he's not in any hurry.

“Hello, Ryan,” Patrick says from behind the front desk, pushing his glasses up his nose and smiling, despite the fact he looks overwhelmed and Ryan can't say he blames the man, there are a lot of kids there with snotty noses and mothers chatting on their cell phones. Ryan smiles back, heading over to the sign in sheet and placing a bag on the other side of the desk.

“Donuts,” he clarifies, when Patrick raises and eyebrow, “for Pete and Cash.” He produces a cup of coffee with his other hand and sits it next to the bag before he picks up the pen and signs in on the sheet, “And coffee, for you.” He says.

Patrick sighs heavily, sounding relieved, “Thank you. They're all with someone at the moment, but you're next in line.”

Ryan shrugs, fingers tugging on the ends of his jacket, “Alright,” he replies, peering over Patrick as Pete enters the front office.

“Ross,” Pete greets, reaching over Patrick's shoulder to grab the bag, “I knew there was a reason we kept you around.”

“Yes, well, I suppose I have to earn my keep,” Ryan states dryly, and Pete laughs, extracting a donut from the bag.

“Someone will be with you soon,” Patrick tells him.

Nodding, Ryan gestures toward the seats, “I'm just going to sit down,” and turns after they nod, heading for the seat closest to the door, furthest from the group of sick children.

There are five doctors at the office – Jon, Gabe, Victoria, Greta and Tom; seven nurses – William, the three Alexes that Ryan just calls by their last names (Deleon, Marshall, and Johnson), Travis, Amanda, and Cash; and three receptionists – Patrick, Pete, and Ian. It's a small practice, but it adds to the sense of amenity that accompanies the casually furnished waiting room and warm atmosphere that's enhanced by amber colored walls and lingering scent of cinnamon. Most of the time, he prefers Tom or Greta to be his doctor (Victoria is only a pediatrician), not that he doesn't like Gabe, he does, they often go out to bars on the weekends, but Gabe has wandering hands and he wants to get through the physical as quickly as possible so he can meet Spencer for lunch.