Part 4 - Determined To Fight

Part 4

MAYA POV

"Mayaaa. Please stop crying Maya." I hear and feel a hand caressing my hairs as my head in on the edge of the bed.

" Please don't make it hard for me. Even I don't want to leave you ever. But my health. It took me a lot to accept this. And now even dad is here. You will not be alone." I look up, eyes filled with tears, only to see Maa lying on the bed trying her best not to break down in front of me.

"Dad! Seriously dad! That man didn't even care to know how we have been living all these years without him. All these years when he was busy with his business and new wife. I really doubt why he even came here when you called him. You may trust him.. But I don't!" Before I can say anything more, her hand is now on my lips as she doesn't want me to continue.

" No Maya. Don't say like that. Yesss. What your Dad did to us was wrong. Even I agree with you on that.
But he is not the only one to be blamed for the rift between us. Even I am to be blamed here."

What? Even she is to be blamed? What is she saying??
I think as I look at my mother as she struggles to sit on the bed. I help her and then wait for her to continue.

" Yess Maya. Even I am to be blamed for the increased differences between the two of us. I was so carried away by the fact that he had. That... That I didn't even try to make him understand that he was wrong at that point. I didn't try even once. And I regret that.

I... I regretted not having tried all these years. Maybe if I would have tried to, the situation would have been different today. Maybe you would have had your dad by your side all these years. Marriage doesn't work only because of one partner. Same way, it doesn't break because of only one partner. He was wrong, and I should have tried guiding him to the right path instead... Instead of leaving him and returning back. But by the time I realized this, it was already very late. Many years had passed and then this happened." I look at her still trying to gather this part of truth behind the separation of my parents. And damn.
It is making sense.

"Maya." I look at Maa right in her tired sleepy eyes which has sadness in and she takes hold of my hand and continues. "When you get married one day, don't do the mistakes that I did. Don't ever give up on anything... ANYTHING without trying your best. Else its regret will haunt you till the end, like mine did. Promise me Baby."

She looks at me with a very different emotion in her eyes as she puts her hand in front of me . For the first time I can understand what she's feeling at that moment. I look at her and then at her hand. Thinking about what she just said, I decide to place mine on hers and say. "I promise Maa. I will always try 100% at anything and any relationship before giving up."

As I say that the lights go off and the room plunges into darkness.

"Maaaa." I scream loud scared of the darkness as I clutch her hand hard while she stays quiet. However the lights switch on themselves few seconds later.

Relieved that the darkness is gone, I look at my hand which is still holding Maa's hand. And then I look at her, she's smiling at me with a tear slowly going down her cheek. I smile back at her and say. "Why are you crying Maa?"

No reply. I wait for her to reply for some time but she doesn't. I move take my hand out of hers to bring her out of her thoughts but to my surprise her hand falls aside.

" Maa.... Maaa. " I shout loud but still no answer. I see the doctor, nurses and Dad entering the room few seconds I shouted. I didn't realize that I had shouted that loud.