Part 23 - Surprise

Part 23

The Villa
MAYA POV

I come out of my room prudently as I hold a vase in my hand to protect myself in case there's something wrong.

As I come down without making any noise and carefully scanning due to the darkness, still no signs of anyone.

As I walk I feel the presence of some else walking behind me. I turn around to confirm my doubts but again thanks to the darkness in here I cannot really see anything.
I continue my way walking around looking carefully at the surroundings with the very little lights.
I keep checking behind me from time to time as I keep getting the feeling of someone stalking me from behind.

After walking around for some seconds, I end up seeing a suspicious shadow near the living room due to the chimney fire.

Clenching on to the vase even more, I apprehensively go in that direction. As I go closer to that shadow, I hear more noises indicating the presence of more people in there.

Feeling my instinct of someone being behind getting stronger and thanks to little light from the chimney, I look at myself in the mirror facing me in which I actually see someone standing behind me.

Now with my doubt being confirmed, I gather all my courage and turn around to hit the vase on that thief's head.
While the thief recovers from the shock of the vase, I grab the lamp post and start hitting him with it as I start shouting thief and help loudly so that my voice can reach the servant quarters and some to hear me and come for help.

My cries are soon heard as the lights of the villa go on and the thief pleads to me to stop hitting him.
Not listening to that man, I continue hitting him as suddenly I feel a pair of hands grabbing me by my waist pulling me back.

" Stop Maya..!! "
I hear Nicholas' voice making me stop struggling and turning back to face him.

" Nicholas...!!! "
I exclaim loud happy to see that I'm not alone and hug him as I continue talking ;
" There's... There's a thief in the villa.! Thank God you came back... Else don't know...!!! "

Before I can complete, Nicholas places his finger on my lips and say ;
" Shhhh... He's not a thief... "

" I confirm...
I'm not a thief..!!! "
I hear that guy say as Roman and Greta helps him up as he holds his head.

" My God...
I never thought that I'll be meeting your wife like this Nick..!!!
Onwards from now I'll be watching my back when I'm near her..!! "
He says as he comes near us while I look at him all confused.

" Stop it Wes.. Who the hell told you to go behind her and scare her..!! The plan was very simple. To wait for her to come here and surprise her not scare her..!!! "
I hear Nicholas say very casually.

" Well that's exactly what I was trying to do.. It's not my fault that she saw me and started hitting me..!! It's good that I'm hard headed else your wife almost broke my head with that vase..!!! "

" Who's that..?? "
I ask all confused trying to get hold of the picture going on here making everyone look at me ;

" I'll explain..!
Maya...
This is Wesley..
Antonio and Greta's son.
Nicholas' best friend and our childhood friend as well.. He also works for us. From the past month he was away from here because he was handling an important business issue.. And today he informed us that he's coming back by the night and I informed him about you and your birthday. I also told him that I'm planning a party for you. So I told him to join us directly for your surprise birthday party..!!!
O crap....