Pete's Tragedy

"Where are we going, Pete?"

Ae asked the guy who has been giving directions but will not tell him where they are going.

"We are almost there, P'Ae. Do you think you can find a parking near that playground?"

"Yeah. I guess. Are we going to that empty playground?"

"Yes."

There was a trace of nervousness in Pete's tone that confused Ae more. He was worried on why Pete suddenly wanted to go here.

The playground was abadoned because it was almost midnight. Only the lightposts illuminates the place. The place looks peaceful yet sad.

Pete led the way to swing and asked Ae to take the other one.

"P'Ae, you see the white building infront of us?"

"Yes, why?"

"That's the orphanage where I and Noh grew up. It was our home."

Ae was speechless. He knew that Pete has no family now except for Noh but he never thought he grew up in an orphanage. That explained why even though Pete has a disposition of someone who was well off, he also knows about common places and common chores.

"What happened, Pete?"

Pete was looking at the building, contemplating if he will tell his P' everything. But remembering how Ae told him about the incident three years ago, he decided he would share the story that only he and Noh knew about.

"It will be a long one, P'Ae. And it will not be a happy one."

Ae reached out to hold Pete's hand and gave him a reassuring smile.

"I'm willing to listen. I want to know more about you, Pete."

Pete smiled as the warmth from Ae's touch gave him the courage to start.

"My parents and little sister were murdered infront of my eyes 17 years ago."

Pete could hear Ae gasped but did not say anything. Pete continued.

"It was a group of robbers who entered our vacation house. We were spending every summer there, I was seven then. My little sister was five. It was an ordinary night. My sister and I was playing hide-and-seek inside the house with my parents sitting in the living room watching us. It was my turn to hide. I was hiding in the closet under the stairs, when everything happened. The robbers came in and assaulted my family. My father was fighting them back but they shoot him on the head point blank.

I was so scared that I peeked through the door of the closet. My mom and my sister were crying. My mom signaled me not to come out from the closet. She was trying to smile but her eyes were pleading. I wanted to run to them but I was really scared. The robbers raped my mom infront of my little sister. After they are done, they killed them both.

I saw everything but I wasn't able to do anything. In a span of an hour, I lost my family because of those sick bastards. I was so traumatized that I can't speak for a month."

Pete could feel Ae's grip become tighter as the tears fall from his eyes like a river. Remembering everything was still painful no matter how long it had happened.

"The police caught everyone who killed my family. Justice was served but I was alone.

My aunt took me in, no, my aunt moved in with me with her good-for-nothing husband. They took my family house, our money, everything. They would let me do the chores and hit me if I do something wrong. It has been like that for the next three years.