Christmas Preferences(Rebekah)

Today
Fluff: Reader x Rebekah Mikaelson

Imagine being sad and moody because of the loss of a family member and Rebekah trying to figure out how to make you feel better.

You were at home with your girlfriend, Rebekah Mikaelson, who was cooking your favorite dinner in order to try and cheer you up, even though she knew she couldn't. You had just found out that your beloved grandfather had just passed away two days ago, and you had not taken the news lightly. Moments after you found out, you had cried in front of your fireplace for a whole day. The day after that you responded to your overwhelming feelings of grief by drinking heavily until you passed out, and Rebekah had to take care of you. Today, you weren't exactly sure what your response to your grief was. And so, you had decided to do exactly what your grandfather did after he had a particularly difficult day. It was rare that he did, but on his very worst days, your grandfather allowed his loved ones, particularly your grandmother, who had already passed on, to take care of him and support him, and listen to Hurt by Johnny Cash on a loop. You knew it was fitting. The day you heard about your grandfather's death was one of the worst of your life.
  "I hurt myself today," you sang softly under your breath. "To see if I still feel."
  "I focus on the pain; the only thing that's real," Rebekah harmonized with you. "The needle tears a hole."
  "The old familiar sting," you went along with it as you cried.
  "Try to kill it all away, but I remember everything," she sang with a woeful sigh.
  "What have I become?! My sweetest friend.... Everyone I know goes away in the end," you sobbed hopelessly.

****

You knew that you were sad in some way, but you weren't sure in what way. All you really knew was that your heart was breaking and it was breaking fast. Faster than you could understand. Today, you felt different. Not better, but definitely different. You weren't crying as much. You weren't drinking as heavily, or doing anything incredibly stupid to try and distract yourself from the problem. You didn't even actually need or want to be distracted at the moment; you felt not fine about your predicament, but normal. A little too normal. Insurmountably sad, but in a healthy and normal way. In a way, you felt completely numb to the world.
  "(Y/N)," Rebekah called as she placed a pan on the dinner table, trying to sound cheerful. "Dinner's ready, darling. I made your favorite."

You nodded slowly, getting up from the couch and taking a seat across from her.
  "Here you go, my love," Rebekah Mikaelson smiled, handing you a glass of your favorite wine. "How are you feeling?"
  "Same, I guess," you responded softly. "Like absolute sh*t."
  "Well, I suppose that's to be expected," Rebekah nodded understandingly as she ate. "Is everything tasting alright?"
  "Yeah," you nodded. "This is really good, baby. Thanks."
  "Anything for you," she smiled. "I love you more than life itself, you know that."
  "I do," you mumbled sadly, downing the entire full glass of wine.

***

Eventually, almost another half hour had passed as you and Rebekah ate together. Nothing else was said since.
  "Stupid question, but are you alright, darling?" your girlfriend asked.

You looked up at her, not saying a word at first.
  "Look, I know how you feel, (Y/N). Losing someone, especially someone as kind, and loving, and special as your grandfather hurts like hell, no matter how.... expected it was," she empathized delicately. "I know that you're in pain. I don't expect you to heal and get past it right away, but.... I just want you to know that I'll be here with you every step of the way. You're not alone in this world," she promised.
  You nodded appreciatively. "Thank you."

Rebekah smiled with a quick nod as she noticed that both of you had finished your meals. She picked up all of the dirty dishes, stacked them into a neat pile, and laid them in the sink.
  "I'll always be there for you, my darling (Y/N), I love you more than you could ever know," she reminded you.
You nodded in reply, not sure of how to respond especially in your current emotional state. "I know, Rebekah. I love you too."
"Sweetheart," she began,"I know that you don't want to sit here and watch movies. What can I do to help you, (Y/N)? I'll do anything."

Tears now streamed down your face, clouding your vision as you wiped them away as best you could.
"Sit, babe. I've had this for years now," you remembered, heading towards the very top shelf of your liquor cabinet.

You pulled out two of your best glasses and a very old bottle of bourbon, gifted to you by your grandfather, the label of which had been worn out long ago. You popped it open, and poured it into each glass nearly to the brim.
"Grandpa gave me this bottle as a gift, when I graduated high school," you chuckled, beginning to cry. "He gave me instructions for when to drink it. Now's the time."
"Okay," your girlfriend nodded as you sat at the table beside her. "Are you sure? Your grandfather gave you this bottle."
"Yeah. I've never been more sure of anything," you confirmed as Rebekah smiled, accepting her glass. "We're going to drink it."
"On the count of three," you braced yourself. "One....two...." you trailed off, as another tear rolled down your face full of frown lines.
Rebekah Mikaelson despondently took your hand into her own. "Three," she whispered, and the two of you drank. "That aftertaste is.... odd," Rebekah mused quietly. "It's very familiar."
  "It's blood," you groaned, after swallowing the last drop of your umpteenth cup.
  "What?" Rebekah gasped. "(Y/N).... you're human!"
  "Not for long," you murmured. "Vampire blood, and a lethal dose of cyanide. Grandpa met a vampire in Vietnam. Gave him that bottle, just in case. Grandpa said he never wanted immortality; life wasn't worth a damn to him unless it could end. I used to agree."
  "But then you met me," Rebekah realized. "Darling, you don't have to."
  "No," you agreed earnestly. "But I want to. Rebekah, you make the idea of life, of eternity, mean something real and beautiful to me. I wanna spend it with you. I've been thinking about this."
  "Oh. I see," the Original began to process. "Well.... I would love nothing more than to be with you forever. Let's do this," she nodded, kissing you passionately and holding you tightly, as if the promise of eternity with you still wasn't enough.