The Training

10

I turn my shoulder as I lowered the bow to see the expression on the princess' face filled with shock. "Release the arrow outside in the training deck," she says as she pointed toward the direction. I followed her instruction and pointed the bow to the door and released the arrow. A small explosion occurred mid-air within the room.

Allura walked over to me with a different expression on her face. Confusion and anguished filled her appearance, but I couldn't read her face. "Only Alteans can produce arrows with Altean alchemy," She said as she gestured for me to pass the bow to her. "How is it that you were able to do the same?"

The princess' blue-purple eyes stared at me to the point I felt uncomfortable. Her brows knitted together as she looked at me, trying to comprehend how I was able to produce an arrow like that. I don't know the answer myself. "You certainly don't look Altean."

"And I'm not," I replied. "I was born on earth as a human. I doubt that ten thousand years ago, some Alteans managed to escape to earth." That was when it clicked. I stared at Allura who was just as shocked at the words that came out of my mouth.

"Perhaps you're half?" She asked curiously.

I shook my head. "My parents are both humans. I doubt they have any Altean blood in them." It would have been a crazy discovery if one or both had the ancestry of Alteans in their blood, but I hardly believe that it was true. "I know I'm not half Altean."

Allura pursed her lips as she looked at me, "It doesn't seem like it, but makes me wonder is how you were able to do that," She muttered as she placed a hand under her chin. The princess was deep in thought of the situation.

Suddenly, the door opened. "Princess Allura! There you are." Coran appeared before us with little devices in each of his hand, "And Miss. Athena. I've been looking all over for you two."

"Is there something wrong Coran?" Allura asks.

The guardian shook his head as he passes one of the devices to the princess. "I've been monitoring the condensers, and I wanted to give you a little update," he says. "Condensers one to four are at full power. We're just waiting for the fifth condenser to reach full power as well. It's sitting at seventy-three percent."

"I see," Allura murmurs under her breath. "Well then, we should go check on the Paladins after cleaning up. Hopefully, they have mastered forming Voltron, and all of the condensers are at one hundred percent," She added on as she turned to me. "We will have to talk about this later."

The princess walked past me and continued where she had left off before the sudden incident. I looked down at the bow, seeing it's light shine in my hand. It only made me wonder how I was able to do such thing when I'm only human.

Another theory is that I'm part Altean, which neither of us believes. I don't play the part! I don't have pointed ears or the sickle-shaped marks at the corner of my eyes. Heck, I don't even have colored pupils like Allura's. There were no signs of Altean in me, not in the slightest. My only concern and I know the princess is feeling the same way, is how I was able to do what I did.

For now, it will remain a mystery.

✵✵✵✵✵

The team had a little lecture from the princess about slacking off rather than training. Allura had believed that the Paladins formed Voltron before taking a break, but it turned out that the castle's defenses shut down thanks to Coran who was doing some maintenance.

Allura pressed hard on training, making the Paladins do some team building exercise which was led by Coran. It was all about building a bond with their lions and having to trust one another so they can form Voltron.