The White Lion

40

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Allura asked as I got myself mentally prepared with what was going to happen next. I didn't know what was I was getting into, but if this were the only way I could retrieve the White Lion, then I would do whatever it takes. Besides, a test isn't too bad, right?

Queen Uriela told us that the White Lion, much like the others, will choose whether I am worthy to be it's Paladin or not. Despite being the so-called Lion Goddess, this was still a requirement and from what I've heard, it's not going to be easy. 

No one on Lucis has attempted to go through the curtains where the White Lion resided, believing that if they fail, there was the possibility of death.Knowing that after I had agreed to retrieve the White Lion made me contemplate my decision. No one knows what could happen if I don't get chosen to be its Paladin, and that terrified me.

"Athena," a voice called out to me as I was only a few steps from the curtain. I turn to see it was Keith. He had a worried expression on his eyes. Every time he did that, it pained me to see him like this.

"Don't worry, I'll be fine," I tried to assure Keith despite not knowing what would happen. "I'll come back out alive and with the lion. I was destined to take it back."

"You better," he grumbles as he tried to keep a straight face. He was trying to keep calm under all the seriousness that he had on the outside and I could see that he was struggling.

I couldn't help but laugh at his childish behavior, "I will! I'll promise you that." If I were, to be honest, I was afraid of what was about to come next, but I knew I had to be brave. All of a sudden, warmth enveloped me as Keith wrapped his arms around my body.

Without much thought, I returned the embrace, holding him tightly. "You're such a softie," I teased.

"I can't help it when it's you," Keith murmurs as he held me tighter. I closed my eyes as we stood there for a while as if we were in our own world.

"Hey, what the heck?!" My eyes opened hearing Lance's voice. Busted. "Since when did you start hugging each other as if you're together? Like, together, together?"

I pulled myself away from Keith and looked at Lance, gracing him with a shy grin, "Since a month or so ago?"

Lance's jaw dropped as he stared at us in disbelief. He turned to Shiro and Allura who had smiles on their faces, "Did you guys know that they were together?"

"Yeah, we've known for quite a bit," Shiro replied.

"It was obvious," Allura said as she winked back at me. My cheeks warmed up as I tried to keep my composure.

Lance freaked out for a couple minutes, wondering why he's always late to notice these things. It was like the time he realized that Pidge was a girl and everyone knew except him.

"Ahem," Queen Uriel coughed "I believe you're crunched for time, am I wrong?"

Oh right, I had to get the White Lion. I took one quick look at the group, then at Keith. I smiled before turning around and walked closer to the curtain. My heart was racing anxiously of what was going to happen as soon as I walk through. 

I looked at Uriela and Elior who had neutral expressions on their faces, "You'll be fine." Elior said. "The myths that our people made up won't happen. It's just to scare others."

"That, I'm not too concerned of," I replied. "I'm more concerned about the White Lion. If we can have him or her, for sure, it will be a huge help to Voltron." 

I faced the curtain, taking in a deep breath before taking another step forward. I closed my eyes, trying to contain all of the emotions that I was feeling at this very moment.