The Chase

31

While Shiro was in a deep sleep in the cryo-pod, we fetched Lance and Hunk at some ice planet. He woke up hours later after groaning in his sleep as if he was having a nightmare. It had us worried watching Shiro struggle in pain after what he had gone through in a span of twenty-four hours.

"I'm not finding any coordinates in here. Are you sure this wasn't just a dream?" Pidge asked Shiro as his robotic arm was attached to a large wire connected to her computer.

"I'm positive. Someone helped me escape," Shiro was sure that his dream was real.

Allura's brows furrowed together as she looked down at Shiro, "And was he Galra?" Shiro replied with a solid 'yes,' making the princess more agitated. "You know that you cannot trust them."

"Your father must have trusted them once," Shiro replied as he looked up at the princess. "Zarkon was the original Black Paladin, wasn't he?" Allura looked stunned just like everyone else. The only ones who were unphased by Shiro's remark were Keith, Coran, and myself.

"That was a long time ago," Allura muttered.

"Wait, what?" Lance spoke up.

Keith looked over at Lance with his arms crossed in front of his chest, "Didn't you see how he stole the Black Lion right out from Shiro?" Keith turned his head to speak to everyone, making sure everyone was listening, "Or that he could do all that cool stuff with his Bayard. Shiro's Bayard? You know, the black one?"

Allura closed her eyes. I could sense her frustration radiating from her as she stood there in silence. 

"Why didn't you tell us the truth about Zarkon?" Shiro pinpointed the fact right in front of Allura. I looked at the princess, seeing how agitated she was being on the spot like this. Even I was surprised that she even knew and that she didn't want to tell the rest of the group. I had to figure out the bits and pieces myself after seeing who Zarkon was and what he was capable of doing.

"I wanted to protect you from the dark history of the Paladins so that you would have a chance to bond with your lions on your own," Allura responded as she looked back at Shiro. "You are the Black Paladin now, not Zarkon."

"Yeah, well, the Black Lion may have a different take on the matter," Shiro replies as he looked away. We all knew what he was referring to involving the Black Lion. Keith explained to me that the Black Lion had spat Shiro out and sent him into orbit without any control of it whatsoever. It was believed that Zarkon was able to take control of the lion when we were at the Command Center.

"Wait a second," Pidge interrupted as she started typing again on her computer. "I think I see it now. There are some repeating numbers in all this Galra Code. Let me extract them," She said as pressed a few more keys, sending the info to the bigger screen. An image of a whole new solar system appeared before our very eyes, "They are coordinates! They lead here: the Thaldycon system."

"That's where we're headed," Shiro commanded.

I looked over at Shiro, "Are you sure we can trust this? After all, this info was implanted into your arm by a Galra soldier. Who knows if this was all part of a plan to lure us in to give up Voltron?" I asked.

"It's worth the risk," Shiro replied as he stood up from his chair. "Someone, helped me escape. If we can locate some allies in our fight against Zarkon, especially ones from his side, we might find a way to take him down." He did bring up a good point. It would be having spies on Zarkon's side that could potentially help us.

As much as I would like to disagree with Shiro, after all, that the Galra has done to my people; Allura's people, this was the only shot that we had, "We can check the location, but I do not like this." Allura spoke up. Her arms were crossed as she looked at us, disapproving the fact that we would be going forward with this plan, "The Galra can't be trusted."