The Deepest Desire

132

~Athena~

After the Black Lion appeared, another light appeared before it, and it was revealed to be Zarkon's soul; the Zarkon before he was possessed by the dark entity. The original Paladins gathered around their leader, looking at Zarkon with expressionless looks on their face. Zarkon looked up in confusion, seeing his team in front of him.

"Alfor," Zarkon called out as he looked around to the rest of the Paladins, calling out each by name. A smile appeared on his face, happy to see his team, his friends there. Even when he called out to my father and mother, Zarkon was pleased to see all these familiar faces. That was when his eyes looked at Allura in shock. "Melenor? What are you doing here?"

"Melenor was my mother," Allura replied as she held her fists on the side. "You murdered her! You killed millions!" without hesitation, Allura walked over to Zarkon hastily and grabbed his head.

Zarkon let out a cry as Allura's hands were glowing with the power of the entity. "Allura, stop!" I called out as I was about to stop Allura, but Keith held me back from going forward. A lightning strike occurred, revealing the memories that Allura had implanted into Zarkon's mind.

"What are you doing?" Lance cried out.

"Reminding him of all the suffering he's caused," Allura angrily replied. More of the memories started to appear in the sky as Zarkon was groaning in agony.

Zarkon yelled one last time as Allura released him from her grasp. He falls down on his hands and knees, panting to catch his breath. "No..." Zarkon mutters under his breath.

"You did that," Allura spoke up. "All of it!"

"I'm sorry," Zarkon stutters as he continued to look down at the ground. "I - I didn't realize..."

"You knew exactly what you were doing. You deceived and betrayed your friends and allies!" Allura interjected, still furious about all that Zarkon had done. I could feel the anger within me as well, knowing that what he did was terrible, but the amount of rage I had didn't match up with Allura's.

"The Quintessence... it blinded me," Zarkon admits. "And you all suffered because of it."

Princess Allura continued to look down at Zarkon as tears started to well up in her eyes. "If you are truly sorry, then help us stop her. You must have been placed here to protect something. What is it?"

"I don't know," Zarkon replied. "I'm sorry."

"What is it that you're protecting?" Allura asked again, raising her voice a little higher.

Zarkon looked up at the princess, pleading that he didn't know what she was talking about. That was when he took notice of the giant moon that situated past the tall hills. "That moon... It is a moon of Daibazaal."

"He's right," King Alfor confirmed. "That moon is not of Altea."

"That is the source," Allura uttered as her eyes were glued to the giant red moon. All of a sudden, the Black Lion roared and sent a powerful blast towards the moon. The explosion made a dent on the moon's surface, cracking it to reveal a light underneath.

That was when everything went dark.

Suddenly, the moon exploded into millions of bright lights. We all stood there in awe, not expecting to see what had happened. I extended out my hands, letting a yellow light float toward me. That was when a series of visions appeared before us, revealing the happiest of dreams that Honerva had.