The Awkward Beginnings

72

With no time to waste, everyone got ready to push through with the plan. The Rebels were out on Teq, while the Blade of Mamora strike team on Senfama, and Team Voltron and the rest of the coalition ready to attack Naxzela. With everything and everyone prepared to take their place, I was the only one left out.

As I watched the Blades get ready to head for Senfama, I caught Keith talking to some of the other agents. Feeling more comfortable with Keith in a short amount of time, I wanted to ask him how I could help out. Of course, being all new to this felt like I shouldn't intervene, but there was a part of me that had an urge to help.

"Athalia?" Keith's voice rang in my ears, causing me to snap back into reality to realize that Keith was now standing before me. Have I dazed out that much to not notice? "You look like you have a question. What's up?"

"U-uh," I didn't really think this through despite this feeling I was getting. "Well, I was wondering how I could help," I said as I straightened up. "I want to participate in this mission. I could---"

"You can't." What? Keith just cut me off, not giving me a chance to explain myself, "It's too dangerous for you."

"But you're going, aren't you?" I replied. "You're willing to lay your life down to fulfill this mission, and if that's the case, I am too." It was strange for me to say, but that was how I felt. Back when I was with Lotor, I couldn't really understand my position.

What I also couldn't understand was why we were against the Galra Empire when Lotor was the one to rule when his father was in a state of unconsciousness. There was more that he was hiding, so I was willing to find out.

Still, Keith shook his head, "Athalia, I can't have you go out there. You need to rest."

"I'm fine," I retorted. "I'm fully capable of fighting."

"I don't want to argue with you. You are staying here where it's safe," Keith's dark eyes stared right through me, causing me to stay still for a moment. It was as if I was in a fearful trance of some sort, seeing how dead-serious he was.

I took a deep breath, keeping my composure as I looked straight into his eyes as well, "I would rather put myself in danger than feel utterly useless. Please, let me join you take control of the cannon down at Senfama. You will need me."

"And I would rather that you don't," Keith growls as he moved closer to me. As he advanced, I slowly backed up with my eyes still on him. "I lost you once, and I don't want to lose you again," He mutters under his breath. The closer he got, the more I started to see how purple his eyes were. They were filled with worry and anxiety as he leaned in more, "I can't let that happen again."

My heart started to pound against my chest as he continued to inch a little closer to me, to the point where it was beginning to feel uncomfortable. "Keith," Saved by the bell. Kolivan's voice caught our attention, causing Keith to take a couple steps back, "We might need the White Lion."

"What?" Keith growled, "Why?"

"In case if we blow our cover and the Galra activate the Zaiforge cannon, we will need the White Lion's ability to isolate the beam," Another agent spoke up. Even though I had no clue what they were talking about, I didn't care as long as I was given the opportunity to help.

"But that puts Athalia in danger," Keith retorts. "If she puts herself out there and uses that ability of the White Lion, she will be the one taking the hits."

"It's fine," I blurted out, causing Keith to turn to me with wide eyes. "I'm willing to do it for the mission."

"That is the attitude of a true Blade," Kolivan added. "She will be part of the mission, Keith. If she is willing to risk her own life for the millions of innocent lives in this universe, I will approve this decision of hers."