The Zaiforge Cannons

109

~Athena~

Our first mission briefing happened first thing in the morning after breakfast. Allura and Pidge were first to report on their findings about Sendak's methods of conquering planets. Then, Veronica unraveled more information about the construction that the Galra have been working on in the past few months. Not only was there one not too far from the Garrison, but there were six in total around the world. After some speculation, they might be possible superweapons to destroy the earth. That was when we ended up split into two different groups to find out more about what this weapon was.

It was me, Keith, Pidge, Allura and James who were the ground unit, while Lance, Hunk, Kinkade, and Veronica acted as our sniper support. We waited until it was darker later in the day, making it easier for us to get to where we needed to be without being spotted.

James drove us through the tunnels, leading to our destination within minutes of entering the city. We left the vehicle in one of the tunnels and snuck into the underground walkways.

We quietly made our way through without being spotted thanks to Lance who notified us if any patrol drones were heading our way. As soon as we made it closer to the entrance of where the Galra were constructing this weapon, we noticed how heavily guarded it was.

"This is as close as we can get," Keith says before turning to me, Allura, and James. "Pidge and I will go in."

"Negative," James interjected. "The entrance is heavily guarded with Sentries and patrol drones."

"Don't worry about it," I spoke up as I turned to James. "Kosmo is with them." James looked at me with this bewildered expression on his face as he held his blaster close by.

"Lance, are you ready to cover us when we get inside?" Keith says over the communicator.

"You got it," he replies. Just like that, Kosmo glowed as he took Pidge and Keith inside. James was left in awe as he watched the three disappear in thin air.

"It's a cosmic wolf," Allura explains as James turned to her for an answer.

"Huh, I got to get myself one of those," James replied with interest for Kosmo. "How did Keith manage to find one like him?"

"It's a long story. When we were in outer space trying to look for the other Alteans, Keith and I were stuck on this giant alien whale for two years. One day, Kosmo crash-landed on the back of the space whale as a little pup, and since we saved him from being a meal, Kosmo has been extremely loyal," I replied, giving James a short but detailed explanation. James was left intrigued by the thought of the comic wolf.

While we wait outside, we hear Lance giving Keith and Pidge instructions to avoid being spotted."Ground unit, I see drones heading in your way from the adjacent alley," Kinkade says through the communication channel. As soon as I heard it, I moved closer to the broken structure and kept an eye out for the drones.

The drones floated by from a distance and all three of us held our breaths. Just as they were passing by, one of the patrol drones turned in our direction and spotted us. "We've been spotted!" Allura exclaims into our communications before the drone started to charge up.

"Hang tight," Kinkade said. A shot from a far distance sounded, hitting the one drone that first spotted us before hitting the other two. That triggered the Sentries to look our way and attack.

"I think you guys made them angry," James says as we all stayed low.

"I've got five hostiles," Veronica says.