The Quantum Abyss

79

~Athena~

"I still can't believe you'd give them the weapon just to save me," Keith growled as Krolia started up the ship's engine. "You compromised the mission."

"Keith," Krolia spoke as she looked over her shoulder. "Just shut up and trust me." Those words sounded awfully familiar to me. I looked over at Keith who bit his lower lip and didn't say anything back. "Commander Trugg, we are prepared for liftoff. Are you at the weapon's console?"

"Affirmative," Commander Trugg replied.

"The code is, Beta-5-2-7-4 Omega-5-4-5," Krolia commanded at a pace to which they could follow. Keith and I stood there in awe, wondering if this was a good idea.

"Confirmed," Commander Thrugg states.

Immediately, Krolia turned to Keith, "Get us out of here, now!" The hatch opens, allowing us to leave the Galra base. Keith rushed over to the seat, getting ready for liftoff. He pushes the levers, sending us flying out to space and back into the war zone.

Alarms blared within the ship, indicating that we were about to be attacked. "Keith, they've put a target on us," I said as I looked at one of the control panels to the left side of the ship.

"Hold on!" Keith grunts as he activated the thrusters, causing me to hold on to the closest thing to me for dear life. The base continued to fire at us as we were making our way through the atmosphere and then into space. "This is why you shouldn't have made that trade for me. We could die, and you just handed that weapon over to Trugg."

"No, Keith," Krolia replied calmly. "I handed them over to it." I turned and looked over at Krolia, wondering what she was talking about. "That superweapon that you're wanting to know about is not some sort of weapon that you shoot with or a weapon that could easily wipe out an entire planet. It's a deadly creature which power is unknown."

Keith remained silent as he continued to fly the ship as far as he could while I looked at Krolia in awe. "So, we practically fed them to the beast?"

"That's correct," Krolia replied.

"We're far enough away. They've stopped firing at us," Keith spoke up as he pushed the seat back. He gets up from his seat and approach Krolia and I.

"I should give this back to you," Krolia says as she pulls out Keith's blade from her belt.

"How were you able to use it?" Keith asked as he looked at the Galra with wondering eyes. He too was probably thinking about what had happened down at the base when Krolia was able to change the blade back into its original form.

Krolia let out a deep sigh, closing her eyes for a couple of seconds before looking back at Keith. "Because it used to be mine," She replies with this somber look in her eyes. "It was mine before I gave it to your father."

I let out a small gasp, clasping my hands over my mouth as Keith's eyes went wide open. "You're my mom? How?" Keith started asking Krolia questions like a child who was desperate for answers. I was even at a loss for words with what was happening. "How did you get to Earth? H-how did you mean my dad? How are you sure ---?"

"I'm sure," Krolia replied calmly. "This isn't how I hoped to meet you again, and this isn't how I wanted to tell you, but it's the truth. We can talk about this later."

"What?" Keith took a step forward towards his mother, "You drop a bomb like this and tell me you'll explain later?"

"We've got more important things to deal with right now," Krolia replied as she looked down at her son. I could see it in her eyes that she wanted to explain to Keith everything, but her focus was on the mission itself.