The Defenders of the Universe

96

~Athena~

As soon as we were outside, I looked over at the rift we had come out from. There wasn't just one hole, but many of the tears that lead to the quintessence field. "If we'd stayed in the quintessence field, we would've kept fighting until we destroyed ourselves - Just like Lotor," Allura spoke in deep sorrow.

"What did you do in there?" Keith asks.

"I transferred the excess power from Voltron," Allura sighs. "It's a technique I learned on Oriande. Thanks to Lotor." Allura had some kind of emotional connection with my cousin, and I could tell it by the sound of her voice. There was no doubt about it.

"Thank you, Allura. You saved us," Lance spoke up.

"Not just us, but the entire universe," Hunk added on.

"You're back!" Coran's cheerful voice sounded through the radio.

"Lotor is no longer a threat," Keith reported.

"Right, but I'm afraid we face a bigger threat now," Coran's voice grew dim as he revealed the bad news. "Lotor's jumping in and out of the quintessence field created multiple growing rifts in the fabric of time and space."

"What does that mean?" Lance asks.

I gritted my teeth, knowing precisely what Coran meant. It was something that I remember from one of the classes back on earth talking about space-time continuum and how certain factors could destroy a large mass of the universe, if not more. 

"It means unless we do something fast, those tears will continue to expand until all of existence as we know it has been destroyed," Pidge answered as some of the rifts started to grow bigger, merging to another one nearby.

"There has to be something we can do," Keith spoke.

"Scanning the rift for any strand refabrication possibilities," Pidge spoke.

"I'm running models to see if there's any chance it can close on its own," Hunk added. All there was to do now was wait until we hear from either of the two - hopefully with some good news.

"Nothing."

"Nope, me neither."

I let out a sigh, worrying about what we can do. If the two smartest people on the team can't find anything, we're practically hopeless. "How long do we have?" I asked Coran. If anything, we should just fly away from here as fast as possible.

"Based on the way those rifts are expanding, about fifteen dobashes," Coran replied.

"Allura, you have to have a way to close it," Lance pleads. "Voltron opened it up, and maybe - maybe we can... I don't know! There's gotta be a way!" There was panic in his voice as he continued to hope that Allura would have some sort of answer to all of this. Fifteen minutes isn't going to be enough time for us to flee far enough.

"I'm sorry," Allura responded in panic as well. "But I just don't possess that level of alchemic knowledge."

"The only thing that could pull that rift shut would be a source of gravity more powerful than a supermassive black hole," Pidge suggested. Hearing this made my mind tick as I try to think of something that would be able to pull it off. Sure, we were in the middle of nowhere, but we must have something that would be powerful enough to close up these rifts.

"Any chance we can find one and tow it over in fifteen dobashes?" Lance asks.

That was when it clicked. "The teludav," I spoke up. That thing has enough power to transport us from one place to another in just a tick.