The Road Home

97

~Athena~

Ever since we defeated Lotor and returned Shiro's consciousness back into his body, the team was still left wondering how we were going to go back home. Our Lions were out of power, and Shiro's clone body was still inside the recovery pod that also relied on power to keep it running.

With that in mind, we left anxious knowing that if Shiro's body doesn't accept his consciousness before the pod's power runs out, there was a high chance that he would not live; there would be no second chance. But after waiting for long hours, hoping for Shiro's recovery, he finally woke up. It was a relief knowing that Shiro was going to be alright.

"This is Katie Holt, Paladin of the Green Lion of Voltron, broadcasting to earth," Pidge said as she tried sending a radio transmission from the Green Lion. I stood behind Pidge's seat, waiting patiently for a response, but there was no avail. We've been at this for more than five minutes, but there was no reply on the other end.

"Does anyone copy? Over." Pidge tries again as she increased the frequency settings in hopes that she would get some kind of sound wave to come through. "I repeat, this is the Paladin of the Green Lion and part of the Voltron Coalition. If you hear me, please respond. Over." Static was all we heard on the other end.

"Dad," Pidge called out in a hushed voice as she leaned closer to her dashboard. "Are you there?" Nothing. Pidge sighs as she slowly brings her feet up on her chair, wrapping her arms around her legs only to rest her head on her knees.

I could feel her despair as she hid her face from me and sat in silence, isolating herself from everything else. There was this heavy burden on my heart as I saw my friend in this situation, seeing that she couldn't get through to her father, or anyone.

I reached out for her, placing my hand on her shoulder. "It's okay. We'll try again later when we make our way towards earth. It could be from the lower power cores of the lion that we can't get enough reach." Pidge sat there in silence as I continued to talk. "I will update the others. Join us when you're ready." I lifted my hand off her shoulder and turned around to leave the cockpit of the Green Lion.

As soon as I was out, I saw the rest of the group gathered around waiting for a result. I looked at the group, seeing that they were just talking amongst each other, and that was when I made eye contact with Keith.

Our eyes locked for a moment as I was making my way to the group, and for the first time, I could see how much Keith has changed since we left earth. I mean, I knew that Keith grew out of being the rebellious teen that he was before, but it was only now that I finally realized it just by seeing him.

Keith has finally owned up to being a leader, and he was starting to become more of a man in my eyes. Suddenly, Keith broke into a small smile on his face, causing me to blush, Quickly, I tried to hide it by shrugging it off as I wanted up to the rest of the group.

"Any luck contacting earth?" Shiro asked as I sat beside him on one of the metal cartridges. "Where's Pidge?"

I shook my head. "Pidge needed some alone time. As for getting word from earth, we got nothing. It might be from the lower power levels that might be affecting our broadcast system," I replied. "Pidge tried everything that she could with what we had, but she wasn't able to get any responses."

"Either way, I'm happy that we're finally going back home," Lance spoke out before he let out this quite chuckle. "I actually can't believe it."

"I'm going to hug my parents and never let them go," Hunk adds on as he wrapped his arms around his body, imagining that he was already holding his family in his arms. That reminded me of my own parents back on earth - my foster parents, that is.