The Lion's Pride

113

~Zeida~

I turned off my communicator after James had screamed out my name. I knew doing this would make him worry, but I had full confidence that I could handle this myself. At this rate, James would be coming back to this base to destroy it, but I wasn't going to allow that to happen. This was the only way the other MFEs could go and neutralize the other cannon bases faster.

"Hey! There's an intruder," a Galra soldier called out as he had his gun pointed in my direction. "Get rid of her!"

"Thanks, captain obvious," I replied, rolling my eyes as I got prepared to fight. I picked up the fallen piece that I had taken from the ceiling and used it to my advantage. It surprisingly blocked the advances that came my way as the soldiers tried to corner me.

Quickly, I pulled out another smoke bomb and rolled it on the ground. In a matter of seconds, the smoke bomb went off, filling the room with thick grey clouds that caused the soldiers to fire in all different directions.

"Where is she? I can't see anything!" A soldier asks.

"Me neither!"

"Do whatever you can to catch the intruder!" One cries out.

As fast as I could, I looked for the control panel. Luckily, the smoke didn't cover the entire room, allowing me to spot the controls quicker. My only concern was getting there without getting hit by random attacks from the Galran soldiers. Time was ticking so I had to think fast before the smoke dissipates and leaves me vulnerable.

While I was still in the smoke, I had made up my mind and went with it. I took out my pistol, aiming it one direction to where some of the attacks were coming from. I pulled the trigger and heard the cry of one of the soldiers.

The leader of the group commanded his team, telling them to be quicker in capturing me. He was making it easier for me to point out where each of the soldiers was by the sounds of their voices and their footsteps. These aliens aren't that smart, aren't they?

It took a while before I was able to wipe out over half of the team before the smoke started to fade. There were a few that remained, still struggling to find me in the smoke. At this point, some of their blasters had already run out of juice, giving me the opportunity to whoop their butts.

I ran up to one that was visible and had his back turned to me. I rushed up from behind and knocked out the soldier with my elbow, landing a solid blow to the neck and causing him to collapse. Lucky for me, he was closest to the control panel which was where I needed to be. I kicked out the weapon that the soldier had as I went to the panel and started to hack into the system.

I had very little time left before the smoke completely fades to hack into the control panel. The pressure weighed on my shoulders as my eyes scan the board, only to realize this was beyond what I knew. There were some that I could probably guess right off the bat, inputting them as I went in. There were second thoughts about this plan, making me believe that I should have just listened to James.

Strangely, the longer I was taking to hack into the control panel, the more I was getting used to the language. It wasn't like I understood it, but with every pop up that appeared, I just knew how to get through. I just needed a little more time before I could completely disable the cannon base.

Just as I was working on the panel, something pressed against the back of my suit. My fingers froze in an instant as I slowly straightened my back. I thought I had more time to work my way through the system, but I guess my calculations were wrong.