The Source

116

"Today is a solemn day. Today, we look back at the lives that have been lost and the sacrifices that have been made here on Earth, and across the universe. There isn't one of us here today who haven't experienced the tragedy of losing someone close. It truly feels like a light has gone out in our lives and the sun itself couldn't reignite it.

"But that light, that fire, has gone out completely. It is fueled within each and every one of us by the memories, and the love of those we have lost. And now, we must move forward in their names and shine that light unto a new path for future generations.

"Today is a solemn day, but it is also a day of hope. Earth is now stronger than ever, and it stands as a beacon of light, to help guide those who are fighting against tyranny and oppression. From here, we will spread peace and together, we will hold strong as the defenders of the universe."

With three gentle knocks, the door opened in front of me. The first person I made eye contact with was Kolivan, who sat on the window ledge with his arms crossed. The next was Krolia, who was sitting on the edge of the bed. A warm smile appeared on her face as she gently stood up from the bed and walked over to me.

"I'm glad to see you're recovering well," Krolia says as she gently wraps her arms around me.

"It's kind of a miracle," I replied as I returned her embrace with one arm. I broke my left arm during the crash, and it was taking it's time recovering. Once I'm out of the brace, I'll have to go through rehab to get my mobility back. Hopefully, it won't take too long. "How is he doing? Any progress?" I asked as I looked over at the bed to see Keith sleeping soundly.

Krolia let out a sigh as she looked over at his direction. "He still hasn't woken up from his coma. His vitals look fine, but it's been almost two weeks since the crash," she replied as sadness fills her eyes. "I'm worried about my son's recovery and if he will ever wake up."

I would be lying if I said I wasn't worried either. In fact, ever since I woke up and saw both my parents and biological mother's drone, all I wanted to know was if Keith was alive. I didn't even think I was going to make it, but after realizing that I survived, the first person that came to mind was Keith. I needed to see him.

The resident doctors told me that Keith and the rest of the Paladins were okay, sustaining some injuries. But all of them were recovering well, all except one: Keith. His fall caused him to go under a coma, and it was undetermined if he would wake up.

A couple of days went by, and the doctors gave us an update that there was a good chance that he would wake up with no severe head trauma. From then on, it had become a waiting game for everyone. The worst-case scenario is that Keith never wakes up. That was something I wasn't looking forward to.

"Keith is strong, " I said as I walked over to his bedside. "He is a fighter. He'll wake up soon." Just like everyone else, I wanted Keith to wake up and open his eyes.

"Well, I'm sure you want to talk to him alone, " Krolia said with a sigh before turning to Kolivan. "Shall we get going?"

Kolivan was a man of few words. All he did was nod his head and sat up from the ledge that he was leaning on. "Take a break, you two, " I said as I looked at Keith. "I'll look after Keith."Just like that, Krolia and Kolivan left the room, leaving Keith and I alone.

I took a seat on Keith's bed as I continued to look at him sleeping soundly. The sunset's light was dawning on Keith's face making him look like he was at peace. The more I looked, the more I realized that I could have died in that crash. All of us should have, but we all remained intact and alive, only suffering injuries that would only take up a month to recover from. It was a miracle.