The Memories

60

"Athalia," A voice called out to me in my sleep. "Please wake up. You need to get out of here," The voice prompted me. My eyes were closed shut as I hid under the sheets, trying to sleep but there was this voice that was echoing in my mind. At this point, I was convinced that I was going insane. I couldn't tell when it would end, only hoping that the voice would go away if I tried to focus on actually sleeping.

I pushed the sheets off me as I as I turned over and opened my eyes to see the ceiling. "Athalia, listen to me. You need to get to the White Lion," the voice spoke in a gentle but demanding tone. "You'll remember everything once you're there." What was this White Lion that the voice was talking about and what did it mean by remembering everything? Did it mean my memories?

Without much thought, I got up from my bed and swung my feet over the edge. I tried listening for the voice that had been calling out, but nothing had been said. Was I just imagining things?

"The White Lion," the voice spoke up. "It's located in the lower left wing of the ship. Be careful. Don't get caught."

I was scared for myself, not sure if I should be following all that this voice was telling me to do. It had been trying to convince me to search every night, but I had ignored its pleas. At the same time, I was curious about what this was all about, and if it were to help me regain my lost memories, I would do all that it would take. I got up and slowly left my room.

The lights were dim at every corner. I kept close to the walls as I walked down the halls that lead to the lower left side of the ship, just as the voice had commanded me to go. At this time, everyone except for Narti should be asleep. It was Narti's turn to pilot the ship for the night.

Slowly, I made my way to the location. I found myself standing in front of the hangar door. It was unknown to me what was inside, but my assumption led me to believe that it might be the White Lion that the voice spoke of.

As I was standing in front of the room, a weird moment of dejavu struck me. It was as if I had done this before. As hard as I tried remembering, nothing came up. Whatever it was, it doesn't matter anymore.

I placed my hand on the panel that allowed me to open the door. For some reason, it didn't work. In the first couple of days that I had been on the ship, I was granted access to almost every room, but this was the first that it didn't work.

Again, I tried to get my hand scanned to open up the doors, but it was denied, "I can't get in..." I murmured under my breath as I stared at the door, "Man, I seriously need to get this voice out of my head before I embarrass myself."

"Sweetie, place your hand on the doors and focus," The voice said.

"Focus on what?" I replied in a hushed voice, trying to comprehend what the voice was telling me to do. How could I focus? Did I have magical powers to open these doors? That would be impossible.

"Focus on getting to the White Lion. It needs your help," Despite being confused, I did as I was told and placed my hand on the door's surface. I closed my eyes putting all of my focus on this White Lion that the voice was talking about.

I started to imagine what the White Lion looked like, believing it was a live creature at first, coated in white fur. The lion prowled, walking from one side to another as I kept my eyes closed. As I was imagining this, the image faded into a giant robotic figure in the shape of a lion. It roared mightily, startling me back into my senses to realize that the door had opened.

"What the---" I was at a loss for words, seeing the same giant figure standing before me. It was the same lion from my vision, but how was this possible? Could the voice in my head know the truth? All she was talking about was that I could retain my memories if I found this lion.