The Return Home

106

~Athena~

As soon as we landed on earth, we saw the destruction that laid before us created by the Galra. At first glance, my heart sank knowing that innocent lives have been lost. I could only hope that there were survivors from this chaos, most especially my parents. I wanted to see them so badly, but examining all the wreckage, I began to doubt that they were okay.

We headed to the Garrison, laying low as we went through the empty streets of Plant Town. It was another twenty minutes before we would get to the other side of town, and possibly another forty to get to the Garrison.

Just as we slowly made our way through the town, we were caught under fire from Galran drones. Hunk, Lance, and I shot down most of them, which eventually lead to Sentries arriving as backup.

All of a sudden, a Garrison vehicle popped out of nowhere, crashing into one of the Sentries to a building. The passenger side opened up, allowing the person inside to jump out and help take down the remaining Sentries. Another Garrison vehicle came drifting in, causing dust to fly in the air before opening up the hatch.

"Stay down, we've got this!" One of the suited personnel said as she pointed her pistol at some of the drones.

"Drones send out a stress signal when they're attacked," A familiar voice growled from the other person. "Our weapons neutralizes those signals, so unless you want to deal with a swarm of those things, let us handle it." I looked at the person, taking a better view of the person's face under the helmet. My eyes widened as I recognized the hard glare.

"James Griffin?"

"Now, let's get out of here before more show up," Griffin says as he walks back to the vehicle. That was when I saw another familiar face in the driver's seat. It was Zeida Kim.

We had no choice but to spit off into two groups to ride inside the vehicles. It was only another ten minutes before we reached the Garrison base where we saw an orange particle barrier built around it.

As soon as we were inside the safety of the particle barrier, we saw a group of people waiting from a distance. The first person I saw was Sam Holt with his wife, Coleen.

Pidge let out a gasp seconds after I spotted her parents. It made me happy to see that she was finally reunited with her family. I looked around as we got closer, seeing Lance's big family was there too.

I looked desperately, hoping that my parents were there too. "Aren't those your parents?" My biological mother asked as she floated right beside me.

"Where?" I said as I looked for them. That was when I saw them walk outside of the base to meet up with the rest of the families that were waiting. My eyes began to tear up, seeing the anxiety written all over their faces.

The vehicle stops nearby and Veronica, Lance's sister who helped us out earlier at the city, opened up the hatch. Pidge was the first one out to greet her parents, running up and jumping into her mother's arms.

"Mom!" She cries out as she held onto her mother.

"Katie! I missed you so much, " Mrs. Holt replies as she returned the embrace, holding her daughter as if she wasn't going to let her go.

I looked up to see my parents waiting for me as they stood beside Commander Iverson. I wanted to run up to them, but something held me back for a moment, remembering that I no longer looked human.

"What are you waiting for, Athalia?" My mother asked as she turned to me.

"I'm scared that they would treat me differently now that I look like this, " I replied as I looked down at the ground in front of me.