3. "he was right"

Breanna Michelle Santana

When I woke up in the morning, I didn't feel an ounce of regret. I thought I'd feel bad for how things ended with Kaign but I figured it was well-deserved. I gave myself props for staying in a relationship so long, too, it was my first real one ever.

After I yawned, I cracked my back and then peered out of the window from my bed.

The marimba sound came from my black iPhone XS Max.

Dad💙🤞🏼

"Hello," I answered the call on the second ring.

"Finally, I've been calling you since eight. What, no work today?" He nagged in true fatherly nature.

I looked behind me to the digital alarm clock and saw that it was 11:58 am.

"No, I have a wedding to shoot later," I told him the truth.

"Atta girl, always workin'. You and Kaign took off this weekend, right," he asked me and I gulped immediately.

"I don't think we'll be able to make it, dad," I braced myself for the scolding I was ready to endure.

"Brea, Nan died. This is your grandmother we're talking about, the woman who birthed me," he told me the news of his mother passing. I didn't know what to say, I was never close to my grandmother as she led a very exciting life far away.

"They're bringing her here to be buried in her hometown," he didn't sound too heartbroken about it so I figured he already grieved.

"I'm sorry, dad," I murmured but those sympathetic words wouldn't bring her back. Again, I spoke,"I remember how she used to call me Bria (bree-uh) instead of Brea (Bri)," and made my dad laugh that hardy laugh of his I missed so much no matter how much I heard it over the phone.

"Your mother asked for you," he let me know, changing the subject to something more lighthearted.

"How is she," I dared to ask.

"Eh. She just got back from her honeymoon with Scott," he said obliviously.

"It's Steve, dad," I told him his ex wife's — Maria — new boyfriend's name and then said,"and they're not married, you two are."

"We won't be much longer if she keeps seeing this guy," his jealousy wasn't at all subtle.

They got a legal seperation quite a while ago and she was the only one benefitting from it, running off with man after man to whatever far off country while my dad, named Chandler, remained the responsible one he always was over the course of their two decade relationship.

I wasn't about to entertain his shit talking, though, so I reverted the topic at hand back to me going to visit. "I want to, but Kaign's so busy, he got a promotion and-"

"You know I already don't like the guy, he should want to come and leave a better impression," my dad growled.

"I know, dad, give him a break. Besides, he's really not that bad-"

"Once I 'get to know him'? Hmph. Your mother said the same thing to her dad when we were your age," his mood changed, loosening up. I heard my father chuckle and then exhale lightly.

"Okay, I trust you, but is there any way you can still come this weekend?"

"We'll be there," I lied again. I just wanted to tell my dad to his face why Kaign and I broke up.

"Good, see you Saturday," he beamed with excitement and ended the short call.

Disgruntled, I fell back onto my mattress and blew air from my lungs.