46. "driven her crazy"

Breanna Michelle Santana

I made my way up the stairs to the cabin, lugging my bag over my shoulder, and a cooler in the other hand.

Something at the top of the stairs stopped me. Or, should I say, someone.

"Oh. Hi, Holland." I spoke nicely to Grayson's sister who was giving me a smoldering look.

"Here to break my brother's heart some more?" She brought the claws out right away.

What did she mean 'some more', I thought in my head before blurting out a snappy response.

"I'm just here with my family to have a good time, really. Grayson invited me. We're all stuck here for a weekend, let's try not to have any problems, okay?" Once I said what I had to say, I tried pushing past her but she stuck her arm out to not let me pass.

I grunted and dropped my bags, this made Holland smirk devilishly like her younger brother often would.

"One more month and I don't wanna see your face again. And don't even think about interfering with him and Leila," Holland threatened, not putting an ounce of fear in my body, only regret - regret for even agreeing to go on the trip at all.

"Excuse me." I said calmly and walked on by without a single huff or mannerism.

Pushing open the door, I ran into the other two Jansen's I wasn't annoyed with: Colson and German.

It appeared that German and my father had hit it off. They were laughing and carrying on - full on classic white dad mode.

Colson opted for a fist pound and mentioned how he was glad I showed up despite what his siblings had going on.

As I rounded the corner to nip on up the dark wooden staircase, Joey caught up to me.

"Be my roommate?" He held my elbow, smiling at me.

I nodded, smiling, too.

======

Tired from nothing but chatting and unpacking, Joey and I had fallen asleep on his bed for a short amount of time but long enough to wake up to a darkening sky.

I shot up and raced to the window, ripping the blinds out of sight so I could see the sunset. An audible gasp escaped my mouth,"come on, let's go see it," I ran back to Joey and pulled him towards the door that we ran out of and zipped down the creaking staircase to the cabin that was built in the eighties.

My excitement quickly fizzled out when I saw that I wasn't the only one with the idea to watch the sunset at the cliff, Holland and Mark were there first.

As soon as I started to wonder where Grayson was, I heard giggling and he emerged from the woods with Leila. They walked hand-in-hand with toothy smiles on both their faces that stretched from ear-to-ear.
Leila concluded the laugh, resting her head on the part of his arm she could reach and lumbered on over with him.

Noticing the look on my face, Holland grew amused and decided to instigate.

"Had fun, you two?" She asked them.

With Leila looking up at him, blushing and awaiting his response, Grayson looked at me, looked away, and then gulped. "Yeah," he answered dryly, still holding her hand.

While I was probably the only one who thought so, the tension was thick. I felt awkward and unwanted. I demanded to know what Holland's problem was while wanting to get some dirt on this Leila girl because she seemed fucking perfect and that made me question how much of a shitty person I was — err, at least to Gray.