67. "a siblings day"

Grayson Reid Jansen

At first, getting laid off sucked because, well, there was nothing to fucking do. Then, I realized I actually had a shit ton I could be doing. For example, my house needs to be furnished. I don't know shit about furniture, I'd fuck around and get a duck phone for all I care.

At first, I was going to call Leila and ask her to hang because we were doing so much better and I still felt like I needed to make it up to her. Then, I remembered I had a sister I didn't see much of anymore so I figured she'd do. Besides, once she started visiting me at my house I knew all she'd do is judge my decor anyway so why not have her pick it out herself?

Why not make it a siblings day, I thought in my head. That's when I texted Colson and told him I'd be picking him up to hang for the day, too. As much as we needed one-on-one time off the field, I thought the three of us spending time together was in order.

Colson didn't do much other than soccer and try to pick up girls. I guess you could say he was just like me when I was in high school. Or at least, that's what everyone says. And when I say everyone, I mean everyone, including the teachers who taught me when I was there who're still there and have Colson, dad, and Holland. Even Brea said he reminds her of me, but she only knew college me who wasn't nearly as bad as high school me and I hadn't even peaked, yet.

My iPhone quacked, which is the sound I set as a text tone rather than the traditional 'DING'.

I pressed the back of my head against the headrest with my arm over it and used my other hand to dig in the pocket of my joggers for my phone to see who was texting me.

LJ💪🏾: yooo

LJ💪🏾: I know you getting my messages bro hit me later

LJ💪🏾: link tonight, issa bad asian jawn im tryna put you on

Shaking my head, I swiped out of our thread without replying. It was nothing personal, I just didn't want any parts.

L had been hitting me up, trying to get me to go out with the guys again. I had no interest in seeing him for a while, we needed space. LJ was too drunk to remember that we got in a fight and I didn't bother refreshing his memory. Don't get me wrong, he's like a brother to me but he's a man-child; all the sleeping around was getting old. I just wished he'd see it that way, too, soon.

"Why don't you like LJ anymore, y'all haven't talked or hung out in, like, weeks?" Colson asked, all up in my phone.

I turned my body away from him and closer to the door with furrowed brows. "Let me see who you're texting-"

"No," he objected far too quickly, like he had something to hide as if I even cared.

"Exactly, mind your business."

1:08 PM. Holland met me at the Washington Square Mall since she had other stores she wanted to hit up for herself. Naturally, I had to complain; she knew I hated going in the mall with her because she takes literally for-fucking-ever! I couldn't blame her, though, most women did.

Colson and I continued to wait impatiently in the parking garage for Holland to pull up. When she struggled to back in her Prius, I laughed at her and got out of my gray Grand Cherokee to help, followed by my kid brother who was a slave to his new iPhone, courtesy of me.

"T-turn," I yelled at my sister, struggling to spit it out because I was laughing too hard. She couldn't drive for shit.

As Holland finally managed to park successfully, she gave me the finger while the passenger side window went up.