54. "put the past behind you"

Breanna Michelle Santana

       "I can't believe you're leaving me like this again, kid." My dad said as he put the last item atop Kaign's vehicle.

I shook my messy head of hair and blinked up at him through my naked lashes. "A bird's gotta leave the nest." No matter how many tries it takes. Hopefully, this is the last time said bird will live at him with her dad, I thought.

Giving me a squeeze, Angie stepped back and told me to call her if I ever needed anything or just wanted to talk.

Angie had become like a mom to me, actually. I'd never call her that but she was more of a mom-figure to me than my actual mother had been in years. She was selfless, patient, and considerate. I was going to miss her but I knew she and my father would be just fine without me. I just hoped she wouldn't get pregnant.

Toot-toot! Kaign whistled at me from inside his SUV with Dylan who took up the passenger seat. "Yo! Brea, let's go, girl."

I didn't say anything but mentally rushed myself to wrap up my goodbyes.

My dad started walking me away from everyone else so we could have a moment.

With his hand on my shoulder, he looked out into the distance and asked me,"you know what yer doing?"

I shook my head again. "No idea."

He chuckled at that and formed a smile on his rugged face. "Me either, but I trust you because you're my daughter and you're smart. I'm gunna tell you what Angie's taught me; lead with your heart."

"Where's this going, dad?"

"You don't need to go back to Florida, Bea. Remember why you left in the first place? It just seems... redundant."

"Dad-" I scoffed, annoyed.

"I'm just saying: make sure you're running to something and not away from something — someone."

Ah. I see where this is going, I thought. Grayson.

My dad did have a soft spot for Grayson and understandably so but I thought with all that happened at the cabin, he'd have nothing good to say.

His words registered with me for a while but I shrugged them off, not trying to get into it. At that time, I was sure of my decision to up and leave. A new start; it's what I needed after all the drama I'd been through. Anywhere Grayson Reid Jansen, his family, Leila, or Bethany was, is where I needed to be.

That said, I reassured my father that I was a big girl who could take care of herself and wouldn't allow the same mistakes to repeat themselves as I thought I'd grown enough to want better for myself. Not to mention, I swore off any and all relations to guys for the time being.

"Love you." He said sternly, bringing my body in for a side-hug.

"Love you, too, dad." I sounded back with a faint smile as I sauntered away from his and towards Kaign's SUV.

Goodbye, Oregon, I said in my head.

Next stop: Miami, FL.

===FOUR WEEKS LATER ===

I put the car in park in Kaign's driveway and immediately hopped out. The Floridian sun beamed down on me and burnt my skin.

I slammed the door shut and went straight towards the mailbox to see if I had anything in there.

"Kaign. Kaign. Dylan. Kaign. Ah, Brea!" But my excitement wore off when I realized it was just one of those Victoria Secret catalogs.

Rolling my tired eyes, I huffed and walked up the pavement.