51. "boy problems"

Breanna Michelle Santana

=== January ===

    I felt bad for keeping Aflie all to myself so Grayson and I were taking turns. Only, I grew tired of having to see him so I asked Joey to drop Alfie off at Grayson's place.

Joey and I grew even closer since my "breakup". He was extremely kind and patient, I didn't get why, but I was thankful. He was really there for me, ya know? Not even as a boyfriend, but a friend. A really great one. So great in fact, I started questioning whether or not we should take it to the next level. He had his shit going on, just like I did, and we respected that. I knew Joey was seeing other girls, even one he was getting serious about who he met when he went back to Florida. Since he was such a businessman, he was staying in Oregon more to get some work done but would be leaving soon. I wondered what that meant for our relationship, if anything?

On the one hand, Joey and my dad really kicked it off but so did he and Grayson. Yikes. Then, my mom said he was a "catch", and Mother knows best, right? And okay, maybe the last reason is because I'm super horny.

However, I had a bunch of dates from Tinder lined up so I decided to see how that went before giving Joey a chance...

======

Fully dressed, I let my hair fall before applying hairspray and doing my makeup.

Hearing the music from beyond my bedroom door, my father knocked and entered without me saying so.

"Dad!" I screamed, covering my cleavage.

"Oh. Hot date?"

"Eh. Yeah, sure," I replied dryly, turning back to my vanity.

Dad walked behind me and looked at my reflection. He started smiling and then shook his head.

"What?" I asked what he was smiling for.

"You look so much like your mother."

I dropped my powder brush and asked,"Dad, do you think I'm... broken?"

One of his eyebrows raised at my question,"What do you mean?" He asked.

"Like, unlovable. And before you go all fatherly on me, be honest. Was Mom this... complicated? Did she make you work so hard? I think after she left, it fucked me up."

"That's a lot to unpack, Brea," my Dad grunted and sat back on the edge of my bed, sliding his palms down his thighs to his knees. Continuing, he said,"she was a handful, yes, but I always liked the chase. Does that make me fucked up? It's just how men and women are. And, maybe your mom leaving did affect you, but you're not broken, Brea. You need a little extra attention, some special care and patience - just means you're worth it and one day, the right man will come along who can deal with all that."

"But what if the right man did come along... but he hurt me and I know I shouldn't take him back... but he's the only one that I want?"

He let out a deep sigh. "We're talking about Grayson, aren't we?"

I nodded with wide eyes and a pout.

Combing his fingers through his hair, my dad seemed to be at a loss for words.

After a gentle knock, Angie asked if she could come in to which I nodded my head. She occupied my father's side and wondered what we were talking about.