66. "I need answers"

Breanna Michelle Santana

"Brea?" Grayson called out. When he saw it was really me, Grayson put his phone down. He strolled over and took a seat without removing his jacket like he didn't plan on staying long.

"I can't say I expected you to reach out and ask to talk. Why here, you trying to get one last free meal out of me?" He tried joking about the public spot I chose to have our reunion but my stone face let him know I wasn't in the mood.

I sniffed and relaxed my arms and legs that were before folded and crossed tensely. It gave off negative body language, and while I wasn't exactly enthusiastic about meeting up with him, I didn't want to look bitchy. It was bad enough I wore flared yoga pants and one of Dad's faded Champion crewnecks that was too big for me.

The waiter attempted approaching us but I put my hand up to let him know to give us time. I didn't plan on eating and sure hoped neither did Grayson.

It was weird seeing him. So many emotions arose. Unlike what I thought would happen, I didn't give in and want to jump his bones. No, all I wanted was to talk like adults once and for all. I demanded answers to the thousands of questions that flooded my brain.

"You okay, you don't look so good-" I cut Grayson off before he got too concerned about my well-being.

My tired eyes were low and carried deep, dark bags from the lack of sleep before. The cheekbones that I usually praised were now sunken in and my once admirable skin lost it's glow. I broke out on my forehead and even my hair lacked luster. So it was obvious that I seriously needed to invest in some self-care but that was the last of my worries. And what would be the use in getting dolled up when I felt dead on the inside?

I inhaled with a popped eyebrow and sat up, having no patience. "Let's just get right to it, Grayson. Shit went down and I need closure."

He nodded stiffly and sat back, cracking his knuckles. Looking like he was trying to keep his cool in an interrogation, he stared right in my eyes. "Where do you want to start?"

"The beginning."

"Do you have all night," Grayson cracked a joke but managed to laugh through a straight face.

"You have an hour of my time."

"So talk, Brea," he breathed out. "you obviously have something to say. Say it."

I felt like he was testing me and it's true that that would've set me off in the past, I kept my anger down to get through this.

"Okay, we can start with why you cheated," I said surely.

Grayson removed his fingers from the salt and pepper shakers he played with and glared at me. "That's not the beginning," he countered with furrowed eyebrows. "Nah, you said the beginning so let's go there. Back in college - freshman year."

== FLASHBACK ==

"Pair up, and for the last thirty minutes of class, discuss your assignment amongst each other and be prepared to present tomorrow," our professor said.

I wasn't the type to ever approach people first and ask them to be my partner. I usually sat there and let anyone come up to me, that's how I made my friends before. Except, my two real friends — Nicole and Ella — were in another class together.

It seemed as if everyone already knew who they wanted to work with and it was only the end of the second week of the course.

I sighed and started tapping my pencil against my cheek filled with air. Suddenly, I just felt a presence behind me. I stopped blowing bubbles childishly and turned to see who was there. It was a boy. A cute boy — err, a MAN — No, that's an understatement. He looked as if God hand-crafted him and took his time.