41. "moving forward"

Grayson Reid Jansen

"Jingle-bell, jingle-bell, jingle-bell rock." I heard people singing throughout the mall.

LJ was busy talking to some girl at a kiosk while I wandered off to get a pretzel.

I waited patiently for the little girl to give me the bag and receipt.

"Thanks." I said dryly and went to walk away, turning right into LJ.

"You should get her number." He urged me, gripping my shoulders.

I wiggled him off of me and bit into the cinnamon-sugar pretzel. "Who, pretzel girl? She's like fifteen."

"Ew. Well, you need something, we're going out tonight."

"Absolutely not."

"Come on," he groaned, jumping in my path,"it's been like, two weeks since Brea left. And, you should want to celebrate being that you're no longer going to be a father."

I swallowed hard and corrected him,"I was never going to be a father, it's Jared's."

"Exactly, so let's party!"

"L, I dunno. I-" I was cut off by some girl doing a double take at me. She circled back and removed her dark sunglasses.

"Um, hey. Grayson, right?"

My eyebrows furrowed at her as I pushed LJ out of the way. "Movie theater girl?"

"I have a name, actually, it's Leila. I bet you're wondering how I got yours?" She giggled, tucking the dark brown hair behind her ear.

"It just crossed my mind."

"Your card information," she let out,"guilty."

"Ahh."

Not creepy at all, she knew what she wanted. I liked that.

"I followed you on Instagram that night but I didn't think you were interested, you have a girlfriend. Err, had, I mean. I haven't seen you post her in a while."

"He's single now, actually." My best friend butted in.

Leila's hazel eyes grew big with hope and she grinned. "Good to know. So you're free tonight?"

LJ spoke for me again,"Yes he is," he said.

"Shut up." I pushed LJ away to give me some privacy.

Leila laughed at LJ and then returned her attention to me. "I'll DM you my number and address, that is, if you're not too heartbroken to chill."

"Not heartbroken at all." Lie.

"Good, I'm glad. I'll see you tonight, Grayson." She looked me up and down with this smirk before I watched her switch away.

"'Not heartbroken at all', huh? We'll see."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Oh, hey, Brea." I thought LJ was just joking so I didn't bother turning around.

"Hey, LJ. Grayson." It was actually her voice. I turned to face her quickly and almost grew excited.

"What're you doing here?"

"In the mall? Didn't know it was your domain." She sassed.

I shook my head. "That's not what I meant. It's nice seeing you."

"Yeah, that's why you've avoided me for the past two weeks?"

"Thought we could use some space." I rubbed the back of my neck, bashfully.

It had only been two weeks but felt like two years since we'd last seen each other.

She looked good as ever, was glowing and well-dressed per usual. I don't know what I expected - her to be a mess?

Brea glanced over her shoulder and then said,"You remember Joey, right?"

Here came this pretty-boy looking motherfucker from the wedding.

Instantly, I grew mad. Okay, jealous even, I'll admit it.

What was she doing? Was she trying to make me jealous, I thought. Because it worked.

"Oh, hey," he put his arm around her waist and squeezed,"you're always making new friends."

"We're not new friends, man." LJ stepped up.

"Joey, you know Grayson, and this is his friend-"

"Best friend, LJ. And you are?"

Joey laughed through his nose. Sticking his hand out, he said,"Grayson, right, I almost forgot. How are you, man?"

"I'd be better if she wasn't here with you." Did I just say that out loud? Yup. Did I regret it? Nope.

Brea looked at me and I couldn't make out what emotion she expressed but she certainly did look a bit shocked.

"Why wouldn't she be with me, we live together now?" Hearing Joey say this, I shot Brea a cold look and then clenched my jaw.

"Maybe you shouldn't be so mad, you got another girl pregnant, right?" Joey added, stepping close to me.

"Hey, man, get out my face." I felt myself getting angrier by the second, he really knew how to push someone's buttons all while looking too smug. I wanted to punch him in his face but I knew Brea definitely wouldn't forgive me then.

It was the hardest thing to do - controlling my anger.

LJ stepped in between us as Brea stood back, giving me seductive eyes. I knew what she wanted, she thought me fighting for her was sexy. She always liked when I got mad, the girl was crazy and like me, a sexual deviant.

"Joey, Joey, just walk away. I'll meet you at the car, I just gotta return this at PINK, you don't wanna go in there anyway." Joey listened to Brea and made sure to kiss her temple before staggering away.

LJ stood in the middle of Brea and I, waiting for more action. I side-eyed him so he'd get the hint.

"Oh, dang, I know when I'm not wanted." He snickered and left us alone.

Brea let her arms fall to her sides and let me talk first.

"You know I've never liked seeing you with other guys."

"It's not like that, I just needed somewhere to stay and my parents, as you know, are unreliable."

"No doubt, but you didn't have to leave."

"You literally handed me my suitcase."

"I was mad, you were, too. Can we go somewhere and talk?"

Brea looked around, shaking her head. "I don't know, Gray. What's there to talk about?"

"Bethany got the DNA test. I'm not the father, Brea."

I could almost literally see the weight being lifted off her shoulders. For the first time throughout the whole encounter, she smiled softly.

"Am I supposed to be happy?"

"Relieved, if anything. I could've been a father and it would've been your fault, B."

"Okay, let's not do this here. I'll be over tonight. Bye, Grayson."

"It's not bye, it's—"

She cut me off to say,"See you later."

When she was on the escalator, I shot her a text.

I love you

I watched intently to see if she got it and she did. She turned around and looked down at me, smiling.

This is good, I thought. Thingsmoving forwardwill be better...