2. "no buts"

NOTE: This part uses sound. For a better reading experience, start the above video when you see a music note/symbol such as this 🎶 or 🎵. However, you can start the chapter music whenever you like as I have only suggested where I see fit but to each is own!
Song: "Thunderclouds" (isolated vocals version)
By: LSD (Labrinth, Sia, and Diplo)

Thank you, happy reading.

~Natasha Carmen

======

There I was, standing outside on my balcony as the golden sun set over the busy city.

I was just taking in the scenery when my iPhone rang, startling me almost.

"Hey dad," I answered the call.

"Hey, bud, I haven't heard from you all day," he said.

"I know," I breathed in,"I was shooting some kid's first t-ball game."

"Fun. This means you can treat me to dinner when you come visit-- no, I want brunch," he joked.

I paced back inside and sat on the couch in front of the coffee table with all of my work supplies on it.

With the phone pressed against my cheek as my shoulder held it in place, I twirled the promise ring around my finger and went "mhm" as my father went on about how Kaign never left a good taste in his mouth.

Suddenly, my eye caught a glimpse of the time on the tv.

"It's six-thirty already, I gotta go?!" I rushed my dad off of the phone untile said "bye, love you" and hung up before I could.

In a hurry, I threw on the first dress I could find, a short, off-shoulder, frilly, white one and a matching pair of Steve Madden Women Kimmie Flatforms. Since my hair was straight already, I just let it brush the exposed skin on my back. No time to accessorize, I grabbed my bag and ran out after being sure to lock the door.

During the car ride, I tried applying mascara, lipgloss, and eyebrow gel but I was driving so fast because I was already late being that the gathering started at five. Really, I had no excuse as to why I was late since the game I photographed ended around three o'clock.

"SHIT," I cursed aloud and made a quick (pretty sure it was illegal) U-turn.

Parked in the lot outside of Dollar General, I searched the car for my wallet. No luck. It wasn't in my bag so I chucked it in the backseat and threw a mini temper tantrum.

What is this karma for, I asked God in my head.

Unable to afford wasting anymore time, I just drove casually to Kaign's where he was standing angrily outside when I pulled up.

I cooled down before approaching him.

"I can explain," I began to apologize but he didn't say anything or make eye contact, only let me inside before he walked in.

I turned to talk to him but he interjected,"you're late and didn't even bring what I asked? I texted you a whole list, babe."

"I know, and I'm sorry, but-"

"No buts," he said and I finished the sentence with him,"you know how I feel about buts."

"We already ate and ask me what was on the menu," he fumed.

I cocked my head sideways and asked,"what was on the menu?"

"Dip. You know why?"

"Why," I yawned.