50. "you took my man"

Breanna Michelle Santana

"Thanks for agreeing to meet me here." I sauntered over to my friend with coffees in my hand. Before, I wasn't much of a coffee drinker, but given the circumstances.

Joey sat up and smiled, his eyes glistening as the noon sun shone in through the stain glass window high on the wall of the new hispter café.

"No problem, I'm surprised you called. Thought you said - and I quote - I would 'never get another chance'." What he said made me laugh nervously and feel quite guilty.

"I'm sorry," I mouthed, blowing the hot drink.

"It's been a while," he said to me warmly.

My head nodded. "A month since that whole... fiasco — that I never got to apologize for."

"Seems like you keep apologizing, when will it stop?"

"When I stop hating myself for what happened." I sank in my seat, feeling small and ashamed but Joey put his hand on mine and smiled faintly. He was so understanding and collected, it really humbled me. I needed that stability in my life.

Sitting up, I breathed in and put my chin in the palm of my hand. Mumbling, I said,"I thought I could fall for him. I thought, for some reason, that he could change me and I'd finally be able to love someone. And I mean,  love without all the bullshit, ya know; the arguing, the miscommunication, the jealousy-"

"Brea, that's just how relationships are," Joey chuckled.

"So I've been told," I let out, pushing the coaster away from the edge of the table.

"It's not me you have to apologize to, I'm still here for you. Let's not talk about it anymore. How about we go to a movie?"

"At twelve o'clock?" I curled my face at his suggestion. Joey nodded and grinned, not seeing the problem with his idea.
"It'll only be old people," I laughed before it clicked. That was the point; cheaper tickets, no lines.

"Alright," I agreed, standing,"let's go."

======

Joey and I walked into the movie theatre, laughing in each other's faces at something he said.

Honestly, I was having such a great day with him and was feeling much better - more like myself than I felt in a while.

"Two tickets for," Joey started to order our tickets for the new horror movie he wanted to see but I couldn't focus on his words after seeing the person on the other side of the glass. Leila.

"Oh. H-hi Brea," the movie theatre employee spoke to me, her voice shaky. She adjusted her stance and swallowed the lump in her throat.

Awkward was an understatement. I was noticeably uncomfortable and felt like we needed to talk but I thought it wouldn't be the best idea as it probably still wasn't the right time.

Joey looked back and forth from Leila and I until he asked me in a whisper if I wanted to go to which I agreed.

As soon as the doors parted and let me out of them, I breathed in the fresh air and gathered myself.

Well that was horrible, I thought. A whole month later and I still wasn't sure how I felt about the girl, even after the whole thing with you-know-who took place! I was just glad she wasn't hostile to me because I didn't have the time or energy. I was in a different place now than a month ago.

"Are you okay, Brea? I didn't know she worked there."

I did, but it wasn't his fault. "Don't apologize. It's okay, but I rather just not go in there."