55. "then it's settled"

Grayson Reid Jansen

"Congrats, son." Chandler came up and scared me.

I turned around, breathing heavy, and smirked at him. After my non-stop calls, he agreed to meet me for drinks and we talk about everything. He let me explain my side and gave me some insight. His words were wise and left me with some thinking to do. Eventually though, he came around and forgave me.

"It doesn't feel real," I said back to him.

"What do you mean, because this is your dream?"

"Nah, not that. Just... I dunno, I thought it would be different."

"Well the hard work's over, you can relax now."

I exhaled dramatically and squinted my eyes at the bright noon sun.

Chandler couldn't walk off before noticing how hard I was thinking about something— about her — his daughter, of course.

He sounded almost hesitant to ask but did so anyway. "What's on your mind?"

"You remember that bet Holland mentioned back at the cabin?" My question prompted Chandler to nod his head.

"Well," I continued after licking my lips,"it's been six months, the house is built. We promised that by today, she would've fallen in love with me."

I heard Chandler let out some sort of disappointed snarl but I didn't blame him or react. It was his daughter, after all, who I basically objectified, disrespected, and mistreated. Hell, I was still shocked that he even forgave me and started calling me "son" again. Only, the emphasis on the "son" went away when he said it now so I knew he was just using it loosely and meant nothing by it unlike before.

"I can't do this with you, Grayson, not anymore. It's not fair to Breanna." He balled up the newspaper in his callused hands and started to stomp away.

I followed him, trying to plead my case. All I wanted is his approval, I guess. I felt like if he saw how bad I wanted Brea back that maybe he'd sway her, too.

"Sir," I called out after him, literally jumping over a short stack of pipes to catch up to him,"just hear me out! Tell me what I have to do-"

Chandler interjected,"I'm not here to help you win over my daughter, Grayson. And frankly, I'm tired of hearing you cry over her-"

"I'm not crying." I gritted in his face.

Chandler tensed up and said,"then get over yourself and I suggest you put this energy towards that new girlfriend of yours."

I clenched my jaw and puffed my chest but ultimately eased off of him while he did the same.

Chandler pinched the bridge of his nose before apologizing. "Look," he spoke,"it's no disrespect towards you, that's my daughter. I love her and you gotta understand that what I saw at that cabin was... it's not something a parent wants to see. You get that, right?"

I nodded stiffly, not making eye contact.

"Brea's coming back for the wedding and I'm only telling you this so you know not to mess with her, Grayson. I mean it."