9. "at long last"

Breanna Michelle Santana

"Hello," my naturally deep voice was quite chipper as I answered the incoming phone call that morning.

I was moving fast around the kitchen as I tried to prepare breakfast for myself that consisted of two slices of toast, turkey bacon, and an omelette.

"Hi, is this Breanna Santana," the male's voice asked me.

"You wouldn't be asking if you didn't already know. Who's this," I wondered, my eyebrow raised with intrigue.

I stopped in my tracks with stood there, looking through the window above the stainless steel farmer's sink.

The man on the other end of the call let out a faint chuckle before speaking again,"I'm Paul. Paul Joseph, the athletic director at OCHS," he said.

My old high school, I quickly remembered in my head.

"I'm listening," I let Mr.Joseph go on.

"I was just calling to book your services tomorrow afternoon," he said, making me lose my attitude and smile brightly.

Wow, I thought, I've been back for two seconds and already landed a job! Looks like I really don't need Kaign and his connections after all.

"Um, sure, what time are we thinking," I wondered aloud, searching the junk drawer for a functioning pen or pencil.

Aha! I found one and scribbled it onto the notepad before me.

"Practice starts at three so, be here around that time to set up?" He suggested.

"Okay, great. Thanks!" I exclaimed in my professional voice.

Before he could go, though, I had a question for him.

"Yeah," he asked after I spoke his name.

I hesitated then questioned,"How'd you find me?"

He chuckled again before talking,"Someone recommended you."

We discussed more business details and eventually ended the call but I was left confused.

Who recommended me, I pondered the thought in my head. My shoulders shrugged. Well whoever it is, thank you...

======

Place both feet here. Press button.

I read the instructions on the dusty, black mat that was placed inches away from the double doors to the gymnasium part of the public  high school.

Adjusting my feet, I struggled to stand there as directed and press the button, but I managed.

BUZZ!

"Yes," went a muffled woman's voice.

My eyebrows furrowed at the way she spoke.

"Uh, hi," I spoke dryly,"I'm the photographer for the-" and couldn't finish my sentence before there was a "click" sound and the doors unlocked.