14. "good for him"

Breanna Michelle Santana

   "Brea, you know I love you, right?" My dad asked me, joining me in the kitchen behind the island.

"Uh-oh." I knew whatever he was about to say wouldn't be positive.

"It's Kaign, Brea." He said.

I went "of course" because what else would it be? Kaign had been a nuisance since the second he arrived.

"—And why'd he have to bring a plus one?"

I had to defend my friend even if I didn't like Kaign imposing. "Dylan's his best friend, they've been through everything together."

"So did your mom and I but you see where she's at."

My face straightened with the head tilt. "That's not fair, dad." I followed him to the kitchen table and sat.

"Speaking of mom," my dad started to say,"she's coming to the party, is that okay?"

"She bringing Steve?" I toyed with the salt and pepper shakers in the center of the round table.

"I'm sure. And if she does, we'll behave, right?"

"I'm not calling him Dad." I joked, making my dad laugh.

"Me either." He joked and left the table as Kaign entered the kitchen.

"Hey." He spoke to me. We hadn't been talking much since our argument when I walked in to his surprise visit.

"Hey." I replied dryly, keeping my head down.

"You ready to talk now or no?"

"What's there to talk about? I said we're done can you just accept that and get the Hell out of my father's house?"

"Brea, what will it take for you to forgive me? I flew here, went to nana's funeral, and now I'm helping plan this little party."

"You don't get it, do you?" I stood. Kaign shook his head with innocent eyes.

"I'm sorry." He pled, taking my hand in his.

"I am, too." With that, I walked away.

======

"These are lovely. I can't thank you enough!" The woman exclaimed. Her skin was bright and luminous. I was jealous but of her skin... of her belly.

It was a maternity shoot.

"What does your husband think?" I asked obliviously.

"He likes whatever I like. I told him I was doing a nude photoshoot and he just had to book you, there's no way he'd let another man do it."

I laughed at that. That's usually how it was. "I understand. Thanks, by the way."

I started to pack up while she paraded around in a robe and booties.

"May I?" I randomly asked, slowly approaching her. She just grinned and took my hand, gently lying it on her round third-trimester belly.

"I felt a kick!" I couldn't help but scream and do a little happy dance.

"Mhm." She sounded, smiling big at me.

"That's beautiful." I cooed, eyes big. Finally, I took a step back and let my hand fall.

"What's it like?" I had to ask. She didn't hesitate to answer.