76. "I did it for love"

Breanna Michelle Santana

There was definitely some tension as Grayson and I sat in his truck. Unlike he was supposed to, he hadn't yet pulled off to drive me home. I understood he was probably taken aback by my goodbye but I needed to get back to my hotel and process some things, too.

I started to grow impatient and asked what he was waiting for. Grayson was just sitting in the driver's seat, staring blankly at the house as the high beams shone brightly on it.

His lips parted. "When this house was built, we were supposed to be in love. I was going to ask you to move in with me," he told me.

Words couldn't come out, my jaw just dropped. I put my hand to my mouth and felt kind of bad for ruining his plans. I wished that could've been our reality but sadly that's not how things worked out for us.

All I could think to say in the moment was "I'm sorry" but those words held no weight in both of our books so I just stayed silent and sat back, slowly fastening my seatbelt.

As expected, the car ride was dangerously quiet and long. It was so quiet you could hear me gulp and I even started wondering if he could hear my thoughts.

From his house to my hotel was less than thirty minutes but with the suspense, it seemed to last forever.

Of course I wanted to talk to him; I wanted to say that I love him and apologize for everything that's happened between us but if I knew Grayson, I knew it'd end in a screaming match that I had no time for.

Once the car pulled up the inn, it hit me that this was goodbye.

My mouth twisted as he came to a sudden stop.

Right as I went to speak, Grayson hit the 'unlock' button and I watched his jaw clench.

I suppose I couldn't blame him for his negative reaction to the news I sprung on him so abruptly.

Not wanting things to escalate, I just unfastened my seatbelt and lowered myself out of the passenger seat.

The mood was solemn and I moved rather slowly as I turned to close the white door.

Eventually, though, Grayson veered off, leaving me to wonder what was next for us, if anything.

Would I be fine with us just being friends? No. I don't think I could ever be "just friends" with him. Seeing him with another girl would never sit right with me, maybe in the far far future.

Trying to be optimistic, I figured if we were meant to be then things would end up working out for the better. On the other hand, shit already hit the fan so it was like beating a dead horse at that point, I thought.

======

"Hey! How'd it go?" Kaign couldn't wait until I was fully inside the room to start the interrogation.

"Hey," I spoke back dryly and shrugged my shoulders,"does this tell you anything?"

Kaign looked at the bottle of wine I held up in one hand that I grabbed from the bar downstairs.

Dylan and his boyfriend both pouted and came over to get me hugs which I quickly made my way out. I didn't want their sympathy.