68. "this is all Grayson's fault"

Grayson Reid Jansen

At The Cheesecake Factory, around 4 o'clock, our hostess seats Holland, Ellie, and I at a table. She, named Gina, gave Colson and his date a booth not too far away. This relieved Holland and I because it meant we could still be able to watch our kid brother. I just hoped he wouldn't fuck it up, if he was anything like me, his older bro, he wouldn't. Well...

"Mind her neck, Holly," I scolded my big sister who was too busy trying to spy on Colson to care for her own child.

Holland quickly adjusted baby Michelle's body to assure her comfort while she slept as we waited for a waiter or waitress to take our drink orders.

So far, so good, I thought in my head. Colson was already making her laugh. They sat across from each other as expected but more mature couples would sit side-by-side. I personally preferred to be seated across from each other, but hey, what do I know?

"Hi, I'm Casey, I'll be your waitress this evening. What can I get you to drink?" She recited from memory.

"I'll have a water, no lemon, please." I said, cracking my knuckles under the table.

"And a strawberry lemonade for me, please?" Holland asked.

"Alright. Would you like a water or milk for your baby?"

"Oh, no, thank you. I have a bottle."

"Okay, no problem. She's precious, by the way. Congrats, you two."

"My niece," I let her know right away.

"Oh. Good," Casey batted her lashes at me.

There was a moment where she just stared at me until Holland cleared her throat, dismissing the waitress.

Once Casey was gone, Holland raised an eyebrow at me.

"Don't start," I warned her, already knowing what she was going to say.

"She's cute." And she said it.

"No comment." I swallowed, looking over the menu.

"So you do have a type," she exclaimed.

I tilted my head and looked at my sister like she was crazy. "Leila had brown hair-"

"And now she's single. See what I'm getting at?"

I shook my head and tried to ignore her.

"I'm just saying, you have a fixation-" Holland kept talking but I whipped out my phone and started to zone her out.

Casey came back with our drinks but Holland suggested we needed more time with our orders so she switched away.

Realizing how rude I was being, I put my phone on the table and locked the screen to engage back in conversation with Holland who wouldn't shut up if you paid her.

After a few silent moments passed, Holland put her chin in the palm of her hands and asked me,"do you miss her?"

My jaw clenched. "Drop it," I reiterated.