52. "running away again"

Breanna Michelle Santana

I walked towards home stiffly in my heels until I reached that diner I invited what's-his-name to.

Why the hell not, I thought in my head, debating on whether or not to eat alone. At first I didn't want to go in, thinking I'd look like a loser, but I was a loser so fuck it.

It was late — after midnight.

The wait wasn't too long before a waitress came to offer me their specials. I declined and just got an omelette, hot chocolate, and French toast.

I kept getting these texts so I decided to check who they were from as the number wasn't saved.

The first thing I saw was:

it's Kaign.

Oh, great. Just what I needed — NOT.

Right as I was about to lock my phone screen, it lit up and rang. It was an incoming FaceTime from Kaign's new number.

I could've not answered it but after a bunch of people, including creepy older men, were staring at me, I decided it wouldn't hurt to take the call so I didn't look completely vulnerable and alone.

"Finally!" Kaign sang.

"Is it her?!" Dylan's voice rang in the background.

The picture was blurry from them moving around too much but I could tell it was dark and they were walking somewhere.

"Um, h-hey." I sounded, my voice shaky.

Of course, it was awkward. The last time we talked I found out he was gay and in love with his best friend. There was a lot to catch up on, I'm sure.

"I've been trying to call you for, like, ever. How have you been?!"

"Good. I see you two are hanging in there."

Kaign grinned in the camera. "What can I say? He's a keeper."

"That's good, I'm glad." It pained me to smile but after seeing the genuine looks of love on their faces, I couldn't be anything but happy for them.

"I miss you guys," I had to admit.

"We miss you two, come out with us!"

"What, aren't you guys gone?"

"No, we're back in town! We're actually walking to a club downtown right now-"

"Wait. Is that— hey!" I ran out of the diner and waved my hand at the couple across the street.

"Oh my god," I heard Kaign shriek in the phone.

We both hung up and met each other halfway.

It was unreal. What a coincidence, I thought as the boys embraced me.

"What are you? How-"

They were just as excited as I was and none of us knew why as we left on awkward terms but after such a shitty night, it was nice to see them.

"Oh my, Brea, you look like you've been playing in a sewer." Kaign bagged on my appearance, making me jokingly offended.

I scoffed,"read me to filth, why don't you?"

We all laughed and kept the smiles on our faces.

===

"So." Kaign nudged me after a moment of silence at the table in the diner.

"So what?" I responded softly, rubbing the back of my neck

"That's a dick appointment outfit and you're downtown after midnight; you and Grayson either got into a fight or you broke up." Kaign gathered, still bagging on my appearance.

Fiddling with the plastic coffee straw in front of me, I breathed out. "Yeah."

Dylan gasped lightly as if the news was so shocking.

Kaign spoke. "What happened?" He asked.

My shoulders hunched but I knew exactly what happened: I didn't take him seriously, he cheated, I threw a waffle iron at him. Just a typical breakup, really.

"Life. I guess. I dunno, it just wasn't our time."

"Were you just not ready, or?"

"Scared, maybe."

"Of?" Kaign urged as his partner, Dylan, linked their arms.

"Loving him and getting hurt. Love is so fucked. Like, you spend so much time with someone and you feel like you're on top of the world when you're together just to breakup. And what's the point?"

"I've never heard you so... so vulnerable before." Dylan said sensually, slowly releasing his grip on my ex.

Kaign and I awkwardly glanced at each other before I swallowed, he cleared his throat, and we both looked away.

As much as I wanted to make a remark about how I wasn't emotionally involved with Kaign during our whole relationship, I bit my tongue. This wasn't about him and I anymore.

"How bad was it?" Asked Kaign.

The memory of the screaming match back at the cabin corrupted my mind. I shivered and tried to escape the flashbacks.

"Pretty bad." I put it briefly.

"It always was between you two. Just because you love each other doesn't mean you have to be together."

"Loved," I corrected him through a scoff before a brief pause,"I hate him."

I pushed the menu away from the edge of the table and sat back with folded arms and crossed legs.

Kaign and Dylan shared a look between themselves and then hesitated to glance at me.

"What," I asked in a sweet tone.

"What are you going to do now?" Asked Kaign.

"I don't know, but, anything beats staying here. I can't." I breathed out after my rambling, stuttering and blinking rapidly.

"You know you're welcome to come with us," Kaign pondered, his hand stretched towards mine for me to grab.

I looked up at him with wide, glossy eyes and started to speak. "No, I couldn't impose like that-"

"No, we insist. Right, Dyl?"

"Seriously, come on. What do you say; us three, back in our little Floridian home? It won't be the same without you," Dylan begged.

"Probably a little weirder now-" I jeered.

Kaign chuckled,"but not the same, nonetheless. How 'bout it?"

I looked over my shoulder as if there was something back there but that's just it: there wasn't.

With a sigh, I gave my nod of acceptance.

What the Hell, I thought. Why not?

"Great," Kaign exclaimed with his partner,"we leave in the morning," he said.

What a dumb girl, I internally snicker, laughing at myself. Running away again, from yet another failed relationship. When will I learn? Learn that, perhaps, I'm the problem.