36. "I love you too"

Breanna Michelle Santana

    Grayson said he loved me. This shocked me because I never knew him to express his feelings verbally. Of course, ever since we've known each other, he always showed that he cared, but this was different.

The way he said it, I didn't know how to take it. At first, I was suspicious and believed his friends made him say it. Or maybe he just wanted to get my reaction?

Really, since he said it, nothing changed. In fact, he said he meant it. It wasn't so hard to fathom, though, because he always made me feel loved. Not so much always in a romantic way, either. Just with little things like, "text me when you get there" or how if he didn't work, he'd wake up a little earlier than me to start my car and when my charger was missing and both of our phones were dying, he let me charge mine first. You know, unspoken ways of love.

We'd always been so close with each other but the past few months really signified that bond. It's like we were in the puppy love phase but for infinity.

Grayson knew my likes and dislikes, he even knew my body better than I did.
He edited his playlist to assure that whenever we were together, I never heard a song or artist I wasn't a fan of.

I never considered myself a goofy person but Grayson brought that side out of me. We would laugh until we cried and our ribs hurt. We'd be so childish - having food fights and splashing each other in the tub, or playing hide and seek in the dark except Grayson knew I was mildly afraid of the dark so he kept a few nightlights on.

It was truly never a dull moment with him and things just kept getting better.

While, I did come to the realization that I was falling for him, for the life of me, I couldn't bring myself to say those three words back: I love you. It's like every time I tried or even practiced it in my head, I would be ready to vomit. I liked to think the "vomit" was just the butterflies in my stomach, though.

======

      Anyway, it was a warm November day, the sun would be setting in the next hour or so, so Grayson was coming to an end on the project for the evening.

As the other workers left, I pulled up and greeted them once I hopped out of my car.

The door was locked. I blew hairs out of my face and then noticed that Alfie, who I brought along with me, had pushed his way through the dog door. So that's what I did.

"Oh, hey," Grayson said, stopping the sawing he was doing,"how'd you get in here?" On his way over to kiss me, he ripped his goggles off and used the bottom of his green t-shirt to wipe sweat from his brow bone.

He looks so good in that color, I thought. And I LOVE how good he looks when he's working and all sweaty. What a man, what a man!

Our lips separated but I wanted more. Pouting, I latched onto his body and breathed in his manly stench.

Laughing, Grayson pried me away and gulped down some Powerade.

"Dog door." I laughed while answering his question, pointing in that direction in which Grayson glanced. He laughed, too, and then asked about the door being locked.

"I gotta get that fixed." He said but I knew he'd forget.

"How are you?" Asked Grayson as I fidgeted with whatever my shaking hands could touch.

"I'm fine, thanks. How, um, how are you?"

Grayson put his hand on mine to stop it from shaking so I could speak to him clearly without moving like a crackhead.

"Tired and my back is killing me."

"I could help." I offered, all bubbly.

"Baby, don't get offended but I'm not in the mood to have sex."

"Good, because sex wasn't on the table? I was going to offer a bath and massage. Totally G-rated."

"That's why I love you." Gray held his fist out for me to pound which I did but not without hesitating first like an idiot.

Just say it back!

"Gray-" I started to say but got cut off.

"I already know. It's about what I said. Just forget I said it, I shouldn't have, it probably put you in a weird place-"

"No, it's not you! I-"

"I meant it but you don't have to think anything of it. I mean, I love you, yeah; like, like I wanna see you happy, I don't wanna hurt you, or I'd do anything for you, you know, like, I love you?" He shrugged and left me speechless. He went on to say,"I told you I didn't expect you to say it back and I'm glad you didn't just say it to spare my feelings."

"But-" I whimpered, unable to produce the words I wanted to say.

Grayson interjected another time. "Can we not talk about this? The more we talk about it, the more it fucking sucks so-"

"I love you, too." I let out.

Finally!

Grayson put down his measuring tape and shot me a look.

Swallowing, I gave a reassuring nod with a confident smile.

I let it marinate for a minute until I fully felt it.

I loved— NO — I was in love with my boyfriend!

Pulling my body close, Grayson kissed all over my face and said,"Did I say I was too tired for sex?"

"Mhm."

"Oh, I didn't mean it-"

"Oh yes you did!" I squealed, laughing as Grayson bit me and spun my body around.

Alfie jumped about and barked like he knew what was going on. I picked up my little baby and let him lick my cheek as I grinned from ear to ear. We were like a small family.