71. "ready to love"

Breanna Michelle Jansen

     "Aghh," I groan first thing in the morning. I woke up, hissing at the bright sunlight that shone in through the thin curtains.

My eyes blinked open as I sat up in the bed, hating myself.

Ah, I did NOT miss hangovers, I left those in my college days.

Why did I drink so much last night, I thought in my throbbing head.

My phone barked, the text tone I selected.

I rolled over awfully slow to get my phone off the bedside drawer to see who was texting me.

Instantly, my tired eyes widened at the sight of all the missed calls and texts.

"Is it really 2 o'clock?" I asked myself out loud after reading the time on my lockscreen.

Rather than blaming my laziness or night of drinking, I blamed my late awakening on the time difference between the coasts.

Everyone from Kaign to Dylan, Angie, my dad, and even my mother had tried contacting me. Joey reached out, too. Wait-- Joey? I blinked and checked to see if I read that right.

"Asshole," I snarled at the sight of his contact on my screen but clicked anyway. He just sent a text to see if I got home safe and wondered if we were still "cool". Read. Contact deleted.

"Goodbye, Joey. Hell-o, room service!" I picked up the hotel phone and read over the menu as I waited to place an order.

======

Fresh out the steamy shower, I used the palm of my hand to wipe a circle in the mirror so I could see my reflection better.

KNOCK! KNOCK! "Brea, you in there?"

No, who else? That's what I wanted to say but didn't.

"Yeah, what?"

"We're headed to the dinner if you want to ride with us," Kaign offered.

"Oh. Um, no thanks."

"You sure," he asked politely.

I nodded like he could see me. "Positive. I'll meet you there later." I assured him and waited until I heard the door shut to resume my music.

Tapping my phone screen with my wet fingertip, I saw that it was almost four.

Dad's thing started at 5:30, I figured I had time to spare.

So, I took my time blow drying my hair and applying light makeup once I was properly cleaned off and moisturized.

Having spent time procrastinating and watching RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars 2, it was now 6:12 PM. I was officially late. Part of me didn't care because I really didn't want to be around all that love and family asking "where's your man" "why are you single". On the other hand, I wasn't that selfish and did want to celebrate with my father and his soon-to-be wife, Angie.

With a huff, I got out of bed and let the robe fall to my ankles as I put my suitcase on the bed and unzipped it to pull out an outfit to wear to the dinner.