43. "a good idea"

Breanna Michelle Santana

"Good morning." Grayson's voice strained.

I sat up and cracked my back, blinking my eyes open. "Um, morning."

"How'd you sleep?"

"As good as anyone can sleep in the backseat of a car in the middle of nowhere." Grayson laughed at my comment and handed over his hoodie, knowing I'd be cold.

"Thanks." I put the hoodie on and then climbed up front.

Yeah, he's not getting this back, I thought, feeling all too comfortable in his hoodie.

Grayson started the car and drove us in the direction back home, his hand on my thigh.

For minutes down the road, I stuck my head out of the window and sighed deeply.

"What're you thinking about?" Asked Grayson, turning the radio down.

I put the window up and rested my head against the head restraint and blew a hair from my face.

"I just wish things were like they used to be, easy, ya know? Like, my family; we haven't spent time together in a while, I just wish we could get together and pretend to be one big, happy family again."

"I know exactly what you mean. Clear your schedule this weekend." He told me, one of my eyebrows raised.

"Why would I do that?"

"My family's going on our annual camping trip, we normally invite our neighbors but they retired to California."

"You think that'd be a good idea?" I asked nervously.

Grayson briefly glanced at me and said,"I don't see why not. Besides, I get to meet your mom."

That's when the smile on my face wiped away.

"Uh-oh, I know that look. What's up?" He asked me.

I sank in my seat, saying,"I don't know if she likes you."

Grayson chuckled and removed his hand from my thigh, adjusting his grip on the steering wheel. "Of course she won't, why would she? Don't sweat it, I know how it is. I'll win her over."

"You think?" I squeaked at his optimism, latching onto his arm.

"Mhm," he gave me this Marlon Brando wink,"just like I won you over."

"Which time? The third... or fourth... or fif-" he started tickling me and I squirmed in my seat, laughing.

"There's one thing, though." Grayson started to warn me about something and I instantly got nervous.

"Holland isn't your biggest fan, either."

"Of course not." I breathed out, pouting.

"Don't blame yourself, she's kind of a bitch. But look, she wants me to take a date so I got one — movie theatre girl."

"Gray-"

"So, you can bring Joey." I knew that wasn't easy for him to say.

"I don't wanna do that to you. Besides, I don't like Joey in that way and I'm sure he'll hate me when I get back to the hotel."

"Why?"

"I kinda stood him up, he had this romantic night planned for us - hoping we'd finally have sex. Now that I think about it I feel awful."

Grayson smirked slightly, making me ask him,"Why're you making that face?"

"You haven't slept with anyone else?" I knew he was all too pleased to find out.

I shook my head, frowning. "Nope. You were my first and last."

The smile that took over his face was priceless. I just wish he could say the same to me. But he didn't.

Finally, we arrived outside of where I was staying with Joey and Grayson parked.

"Don't forget to tell your parents."

"I won't," I said to Grayson as I hopped out of his truck,"thanks for last night." I pecked his lips and hurried to unfasten my seatbelt.

"I love you." Grayson said.

I tilted my bead.

"What?" He questioned my mannerisms.

"Nothing... it's just that every time you say it, it sounds like you're trying to reassure yourself," I admitted before saying it back,"Love you."

With that, I shut the door and waved as he drove off.

Taking a breath, I texted Joey that I was on my way up. He didn't reply but I was already on my way and hoping he was at work so I could freshen up in peace and then get some sleep in an actual bed.