23. "the contract"

Breanna Michelle Santana

I woke up for the third morning with an aching back. The first thing I did when I arose from the cushion was crack it.

For the record, I put myself in the dog house - not Grayson.

After Holland and Mark's wedding, I knew he was quite upset with me. At first I didn't know why, but then I realized maybe he was jealous? Which, of course, he had no right to be but I suppose he was taking this dare mildly serious.

Stretching, I rolled up and let out a breath. A warm one - I needed to brush my teeth. So, that's exactly what I did right before hopping the shower.
Once my daily routine was over, I went into the master bedroom and tiptoed along the carpet to retrieve my suitcases that weren't unpacked yet after a almost a whole week.

I took two suitcase at the same time and transferred them to the guest room across the hall. There, I put on a outfit that consisted of a white, fitted short-sleeved crewneck, denim jeans that were distressed at the ankle, and a pair of low top Air Force 1s.

As soon as I opened the door, Grayson opened his and we stared at each other. I looked away first and started down the hall.

While I was the one who did make him upset, I wasn't going to keep apologizing or begging for his attention. I knew that when he was ready, he'd talk to me.

I turned the news off on the tv and began folding the blankets I used the night prior.

Grayson's eyes were glued to me as he went to the kitchen and immediately raided the refrigerator.

"Good morning." He said roughly.

"Morning." I said back, avoiding looking up at him. When I did catch a glimpse though, I saw that he had this whole shadow-y beard thing going on and it was quite hot.

I picked the blankets up all at once and walked them to the guest bedroom where I placed them on the bed and left there.

When I returned to the living room, I happened to see Grayson glaring at me with an empty jug of milk in his hands.

"What?" I asked, not even with an attitude.

"Were you going to tell me we're out of milk?" He asked, sounding like somebody's father.

"We're out of milk." I told him dryly, snatching my purse and sweater off of the couch.

I heard mumbling coming from the kitchen but didn't care enough to acknowledge it.

======

"—When the bones are good, the rest don't matter. The paint could peel, the glass could shatter. Let it ra-a-a-a-ain, you and I remain the sa-a-a-me..." I sang along to the song "the bones" by Maren Morris.

Finally, I pulled up at this restaurant and put the car in park.

When I got out, I very lightly hit the car next to me.

"Shit!" I cursed and I checked for any possible damage right away.

"Hey, watch wh— Hey."

"H-hey. It's you." I lost my anger and started to smile.

It was the guy I met at the wedding, Joey.

"In the flesh. Brea, right?" I nodded at his question to which he shook my hand and made me giggle.

"What?" He asked at my laughter.