4

Josiah

I tapped my fingers against the table in front of me.

I'd shown up early to this study date that I'd scheduled after class with Lena.

Not that her life, she, was any of my business, but I needed to know more about her.

Yeah, it was a want, too, but it was more of a need than a want at this point.

Since I'd spoken to her my interest had sparked even more, my want to protect her.

I had a problem.

A constant need to protect someone when in all reality, I myself needed protecting at times. All I wanted to do was protect someone from the weight of the world.

And when I couldn't do that, I felt unaccomplished. Like I'd done nothing.

I'd learned the hard way that if someone didn't want to be protected, you couldn't make them want to be protected. There was absolutely no way.

I tapped my foot against the ground, looking up at Claudia when she walked over to the table. "Hey, thanks."

"Tell her the coffee's on you."

I just looked up at her, cocking an eyebrow up.

She smiled. "Every girl loves a guy that buys her coffee."

I just rolled my eyes and she patted my shoulder before walking away, making me look over at the door.

I saw a tiny figure grab the door handle. She grabbed the door handle so lightly that the door barely opened for her, stepping inside.

Lena Anderson proved that revealing clothes weren't the only thing that could catch a guy's attention.

Her big, brown eyes met mine and she smiled a small smile, making me stand up. "Hey."

She just smiled up at me, adjusting her bag on her shoulder. "I can explain the outfit."

I just smiled and looked down at her sweatpants and sweatshirt.

"I woke up late," she said, "and I slept in this last night."

I just chuckled and pulled her chair out for her, watching as she sat down. "I would've passed out."

She just smiled, tucking her hair behind her ear. "I-is this coffee mine?"

"Yeah," I said, nodding, "on me."

She just looked up at me. "Thank you."

She sounded so genuine with everything she said. I'd never heard someone sound so genuine saying thank you.

"You're welcome," I said, nodding with a smile.

She just grinned a small smile, both of her hands wrapped around her coffee cup. "It's cold out."

"Yeah," I said, folding my arms on the table, "you lived here your whole life?"

She nodded, wiping the corner of her mouth subtly. "Yeah. My dad's based out of Seattle, so."

"What's he do?" I asked.

She just cleared her throat. "Uh, he's a businessman. He probably works in relation with your dad-"

I just grinned and narrowed my eyes, making her stop herself.

"Did your research, yeah?" I asked, taking a sip of my coffee.

"Always do," she quietly said, "and I didn't have to do much research. Your name gets around quick."

"I'm just going to be straight up," I said, "what you've heard about me, it's not all true."