42

Fred

I'd had exactly a week to orchestrate my plan.

Send Alexis and Lena away on a weekend getaway, filled with spa days, sunshine, relaxation rather than being on the edges of their seats.

Sit down and talk to Mateo about abandoned warehouses that I could get into easily. That part was a little tricky because he wanted to know what I needed it for, but I couldn't tell him. And if anyone knew about abandoned warehouses, it was Mateo King.

Make sure Jo was with me one hundred percent.

I bit down on my lip and looked down at the envelope.

This wasn't completely out of line, was it?

No, it wasn't. I could answer that for myself. I'd never wanted to hurt someone more.

Alexis walked out of our bedroom, a towel wrapped around her. She squeezed out the ends of her hair and smiled. "Good morning."

"Morning," I greeted, making her bend over the back of the couch and press a kiss to my cheek.

"What's that?" She asked, her arms wrapped around my neck.

I just bit down on my lip. I cleared my throat and stood up, walking into the kitchen.

"I got you apple juice while I was out this morning," I said.

"Thank you," she said, smiling up at me.

I nodded and leaned against the counter. She poured herself a glass and pulled it up to her lips, her eyes fixated on me.

"Did you rest?" I asked, folding my arms over my chest.

She nodded, gently wiping the corner of her mouth. "I did. You?"

Not at fucking all.

"Yeah," I answered, "tossed and turned a bit."

"Yeah, I know," she said, "your head had to be on my chest before you actually slept a little bit."

I smiled, pursing my lips together.

"Are you okay?" She asked, nodding up at me.

I nodded and rubbed my jaw. "I-I have something for you."

She smiled up at me. "Okay, I'm always down for that."

I pulled the envelope out of my pocket and handed it to her. She ripped it open and leaned against the counter, reading the paper.

She looked up at me after she was done. "What is this for?"

I just rubbed the back of my neck. "I think you've been going through it this week."

She just furrowed her brows together and folded her arms over her chest.

"I think you and Lena deserve a break," I said, nodding down at her, "a girl's trip."

"Baby, that's generous," she chuckled out, "but I don't think I can actually go on this-"

"I already booked the room," I said, shrugging.

She scoffed and looked up at me. "Babe."

"I just want you and Lena to go relax," I said, "you deserve it. Both of you do."

She just sighed, a smile tugging at her lips. "Well I'd be stupid to turn down a weekend getaway with my best friend."

I just smiled and she wrapped her arms around my neck. "Thank you, baby."