38

Jo

"So you got an offer?" Abuela asked, a smile on her face.

I nodded, taking a sip of my beer. "Yeah."

"In Seattle?"

I chewed on my bottom lip, placing my beer on the table. "Chicago, actually."

She just looked at Dad and he cocked an eyebrow up, taking a sip of his beer.

"You're not letting them go to Chicago, Santiago," she said.

I laughed. "Abuela, why?"

"Chicago's dangerous, mi amor!" She exclaimed.

"Abuela, everywhere's dangerous," I deadpanned, "Seattle isn't much better off, just saying."

She just pouted her bottom lip out. She gasped, her hand over her mouth. "No, where's Fred going?"

"He got an offer from Chicago, too," I said, "I mean, we're not even sure that we're going to take them."

I looked over at Lena and Alexis, who were both taking pictures of the view from the restaurant.

"You're leaving a lot behind," Abuelo said, grinning as he took a sip of his beer.

"Yeah, I know," I said, my eyes still glued to Lena.

She eventually walked back over to the table and smiled down at me. "So this view is unreal."

I chuckled and rubbed her back gently. "I actually haven't seen it."

"Come on!" She said, pulling me out of my chair. I grabbed her hand and we walked over to the deck, making my eyes go wide.

"This is beautiful."

She smiled back at me. "I know."

Her smile could've made time stand still, easily.

I just wrapped my arms around her from behind, my chin on her shoulder. "You know, I really love Barcelona. When I was a kid, I wanted to play soccer here."

"No way," she said, looking back at me as she gently rubbed my jaw with her fingertips.

"Mm hmm," I muttered, "I always thought I'd end up here."

"Well maybe you will, who knows," she said, smiling.

"Who knows," I mumbled, pressing a kiss to her neck.

Music started blasting from the speakers and I pulled away from her, chuckling.

"Jo, no," she giggled out as I grabbed her hand. I spun her around and she laughed, her hands against my chest as I dipped her.

"I'm quite the dancing man."

"I can see," she laughed out, making me pull her back up swiftly. I held her close and we danced to the music, probably getting lost in each other's eyes as per usual.

"Bebes, food's here."

I smiled and pressed my forehead against Lena's, making Dad clear his throat.

I looked over at him and Adora smiled, making me clear my throat. I pulled Lena over to the table and we sat down.

"So Lena," Abuela began, "do you have college plans?"

"Well, I'm getting community out of the way first," she said, nodding, "and then I, um, I have a ton of plans but I'm not sure I'll make it to them all in this lifetime."

She smiled and Abuela giggled. "Well, when you're married to Jo-"

I choked on my water, making everyone look at me. I just held up a finger and wiped the corner of my mouth, clearing my throat. "S-sorry."