49

8 months later

Alexis

I poured two cups of coffee, holding mine close. It was starting to get cooler in Seattle and the coolness was also more present in the apartment.

I leaned against the counter and looked at the windows, chewing on my bottom lip.

My gaze averted to the boxes in every corner, stacked on top of each other. The apartment was definitely more empty with Fred's belongings being packed up.

I cleared my throat and turned towards the counter, scratching my head. My lips pulled into a mischievous smile at the idea that had suddenly hit me.

I looked over my shoulder and made sure Fred was nowhere to be seen before switching the sugar and salt containers out. I giggled a quiet giggle.

Salty coffee, coming right up.

I smiled and sat down on one of the stools, immersing myself into a book while I waited on him to get ready.

"Good morning," he greeted, gently placing a kiss on my cheek.

"Hi," I said, closing my book, "sleep well?"

He nodded. "Is this mine?"

I nodded and he smiled. "Thank you. Did you sleep?"

I nodded and bit down on my bottom lip, my eyes following his hand reaching into the salt container with a spoon. I bit back a laugh as he dumped a spoonful of salt in his coffee.

He stirred it around and cocked an eyebrow up at me. "You sure?"

"Mm hmm," I answered, clearing my throat, "you're looking extra buff today."

He took a sip of his coffee and our eyes were boring into each other's, his eyes narrowing a tiny bit. A smile tugged at his lips and my half-smile faded.

What?

"Something wrong?" He asked, cocking an eyebrow up at me.

"N-no," I answered, shaking my head. I took a sip of my coffee and he threw his cup back, finishing it off. He slammed it down on the counter and smiled.

"You asshole," I laughed out, shaking my head.

"What is weakness?" He asked, chuckling.

He walked over to me and wrapped his arm around my neck from behind, pressing a kiss to my cheek. "You should know by now that I'm an alpha, and weakness doesn't exist."

"It does when it comes to me," I said, looking back at him.

He smiled. "Good try though."

I shrugged. "I thought it was pretty well orchestrated."

He chuckled. He let go of me and shoved his hands in the pockets of his sweats. "Is it just me, or does it look really empty around here?"

"It looks really empty around here," I said, looking up at him.

Fred left for Chicago in three days time. I was happy for him and I wanted him to go, but I was also scared. I hadn't lived without him in so long.

It would definitely be an adjustment.

"I really can't believe I leave in four days," he muttered.

"It's three now," I muttered.

He looked over his shoulder at me and cocked an eyebrow up. "If I didn't know any better, I'd think you wanted me gone."