46

Fred

I raked my hands through my hair, and I could see specs of red dripping off of my eyelashes.

I stood under the water and let it drench me.

I brushed my hair away from my face and looked down. I was surrounded by red, everything. The floor, the glass, even the shower head.

My eyebrows went into a furrow. I held my hands up and looked at them, seeing them covered in blood as well.

I turned off the shower water, reaching out for a towel. I grabbed the towel and noticed it was bloody, making me let out a breath.

I stepped out of the shower and wrapped the towel around my hips, walking over to the mirror. I saw blood smeared on it and I just grabbed my clothes, dropping them when I realized they were soaking wet.

With blood.

I braced my palms on the counter and looked at myself in the mirror, my breathing heavy.

That's not your blood.

You've got another man's blood on your clothes.

I jolted up from my sleep with a loud gasp, sitting straight up.

I regained my breath, looking over at Alexis in the hospital bed. I steadied out my breathing, my hands tugging at my hair.

"Are you okay?"

I looked up and saw a nurse peeking in the room.

"Y-yeah," I answered, "b-bad dream."

"Could I get you some water?"

I nodded and she smiled, walking away.

I just looked over at Alexis again, the sight of her being unconscious not a sight I wanted to get used to.

"Here's your water."

I just looked up at the nurse standing in front of me.

"Thank you," I said, smiling a small smile up at her. I grabbed the water and took a sip, making her smile over at Alexis.

"Girlfriend, sister, what's the four-one-one?"

"Girlfriend," I said, looking over at Alexis, "best friend."

She smiled, looking down at her clipboard. "Young love, I remember that."

I just flexed my jaw. "Thank you for the water."

"She's going to wake up," she said, nodding down at me.

I looked up at her and nodded. "I believe you."

She smiled and gave my shoulder a gentle rub before walking out of the room. I grabbed my phone from the table and scrolled through notifications.

I just sighed and realized it was no use. I had none that I was interested in.

I sat up against the side of the couch, my head in my hand as I looked at her.

She looked so beautiful.

I wrapped my hand around my necklace, my jaw taut. I'd worn this necklace since I was fifteen and acted like it solved problems, when in reality, and old age, it didn't.

I traced the cross with my pointer finger, my eyes glued to her.

How could this happen to her?

Why weren't you with her?

Why weren't you at least trying?

Why didn't you answer her call?