Games

*** Hey guys. I really hate doing this and that's why I usually don't but I had to change the last chapter. Tristan outing Finnegan just wasn't sitting well with me and felt a little bit lazy. For those who wanted the drama and reveal to happen right away, sorry, you have to wait just a little longer. So, the last chapter cuts off right after Andy brings over the gay beer and they toast him. And now, the exciting resolution....

They spent the next hour talking and probably being a little bit too loud but the food, beer, and company were all good. None of them really had all that much to drink since they'd split the pitcher four ways but they'd decided to play a few games in the arcade anyway, mostly to extend the evening. Emmett really wanted to finish a match in air hockey but he saw Finnegan's eyes glance all around the room and then land on the racing game which was surprisingly empty. "Want to race?"

"Yes, show me how this contraption works?" It seemed fairly safe; he knew how to drive and knew the general point of the game was probably to not crash but there were a lot of buttons and two pedals.

"Sure, darling." He slid into the seat and fished some coins out of his pocket. "You can put it on auto shift, that lever there, or if you know how to drive a stick and really want to be fancy, you can leave it." The game started beeping the countdown quickly and he wasn't sure he could pause it. "Try to stay in between the lines and don't turn left on red" he teased and then they were off. "Gas it coming out of the curves" he added when he saw Finnegan skidding behind him.

During the first few laps he had to think too much to consider this game any fun but by the third time, his brain was taking over and doing some of it by instinct. He sped up a little bit, knowing he probably wouldn't catch Emmett but that didn't mean he wanted to be last, either. Just before he went into the big turn, three cars got a little too close and two of them shot towards the rail, flipping over and bursting into flames.

"NO! Shit!" Emmett lamented. "That totally wasn't my fault."

"Was that you?" Finnegan asked, not daring to glance over at Emmett's screen.

"Yes, damn it. Okay, fine, I'm gonna catch you, Finn."

Then it really got fun. "No you're not!" He did his best to concentrate, sticking out his tongue a little bit and leaning towards the screen, his hands gripping the steering wheel tightly.

He was doing really well but Emmett had the ability to shift and he used it, taking the turn faster than he usually did and pulling past Finnegan by a car length.

"No fair!" Finnegan whined, pushing even harder on the gas pedal that was already completely depressed. They shot over the finish line and their times and scores flashed up on the screen. "Eighth, that sucks."

"Not for your first game it doesn't."

"There are only ten cars, Emmett."

Finnegan was awfully competitive and a little bit hard on himself. "It's just a game" Emmett replied, "do you want a rematch?"

At least three or four and to play every other game in here too, but it was dangerous.  "I do but I should get going. It's been a long day and I'm tired, sorry. The beer didn't help that situation any." He slowly climbed out of the racing seat and stretched, not quite able to stifle his yawn.

"Sleepy boy, let me walk you out" Emmett offered.

"Kay." On the way out he stopped to say goodbye to Tristan and Peter. They were playing air hockey and Tristan looked ridiculous because he had one hand try to hold his hair out of his way so he could see. He scored, smiling and turning towards Finnegan. "You can't leave yet, I've really got to pee, could you play my turn? he spit out rapid-fire, practically shoving the paddle at Finnegan.

Peter let him off the hook. "We can just wait he gets back, unless you want to play, it doesn't matter to me."

Emmett held out his hand, silently asking Finnegan for the paddle. "Let me at him."

They were still going at it when Tristan returned, the puck flying back and forth and the clanging almost deafening even in the loud arcade. Tristan wasn't above cheating just a little bit. He rolled forward onto his tiptoes and leaned over to whisper in Peter's ear. "Sorry, sir, I just couldn't help it."

Peter sucked in a deep breath and the puck went flying past him, clanging into the goal. "You're going to pay for that, kitten." He turned towards Emmett. "Looks like we're leaving too."

"Promises, promises."  Tristan smiled at Peter and gave Finnegan a hug. "Get my number from your man" he told him and then retrieved his paddle from Emmett. Working Peter up was fun but watching him this way was even better. He decided to stretch it out a few minutes. "Can't we finish the game first, please?"

Peter pursed his lips, sighed and nodded. "See you two soon, have fun."

As soon as they stepped outside, Finnegan knew he had to ask now or he'd forget. "How do you know Andy?"

He wasn't exactly sure how to describe his friendship with Andy. "We went to high school together. We weren't super close then but between lots of them moving or going to college and me coming out and joining the Army and being deployed overseas for years, most of my friends disappeared. Andy, somehow, stuck around." A sharp, cold wind blew across the large parking lot and he reached down and opened Finnegan's door. The temperature had plummeted once the sun went down and neither of them were dressed for this. "Drive safe and text me when you get home. If you want to do anything tomorrow after church, give me a call."

Friday morning he'd been forced to delay going into full operation until Wednesday so he wasn't planning on doing any work tomorrow but that didn't mean he wanted to get dressed and leave his apartment either. "Okay.  I'm not sure yet so don't sit around waiting for me. Thanks for tonight, I had fun."  More fun than he could remember having in years but he didn't want to push it.  He'd been needy enough tonight although no one had seemed to mind.  Still, he'd need tomorrow to get ready for next week.   

Emmett was relieved. "I'm glad this counted as fun. I enjoyed it too."

"Am I allowed to kiss you here?" Finnegan asked, remembering Emmett's warning about doing anything in public near his house.

"Probably better if we don't. Next time, let me pick you up."

That sounded good. "I will. Bye Emmett."