Structure

Emmett:

They're really cute together. Finn and Rhys just came down the double slide and ended up in a pile. They came up sputtering, with huge grins on their faces and Quincy and I both chuckled. "Thanks again for inviting us" I tell him. The boys have been going non-stop for an hour and we are relaxing.

"Hey, I am loving that Rhys has someone to play with. I love him but a man can only watch so much Power Rangers or build so many sand castles before it becomes torture. He's going to nap hard, they're burning a lot of energy."

"I'm tired just watching them. Even the lazy river seems like work."

Quincy laughs at me. "You're right. I'm good here for now, I think we're doing the beach this afternoon. You guys mentioned leaving?"

"Yeah, Finn has business crap to do tomorrow. Hopefully we'll be back tomorrow night but with his job you just never know." I've been thinking over everything he said to me at the beach, and then some. I have some ideas I want to run by him and I'm hoping he can give me more. "Can I ask you a few personal questions? I'd really love to know a little bit more about how you guys work but I understand if you don't want to talk about it."

"Of course, shoot. I don't like explaining it to folks not in the life but if we can help, hey, no problem."

"Does Rhys nap every day? You seem to have a pretty good schedule."

"He naps every day that we spend the whole thing together, yeah. Obviously at work he doesn't, you know! But yeah, our full days are structured. He has lunch, an hour of quiet time, then we have some fun and he takes a nap. Gives me a breather, honestly, and he just tends to need more sleep than me. I can do fine on 7 a night. Rhys would sleep 9 every night and still need a nap after this."

Yeah, that's not gonna work with Finnegan. "I'd love to have some sort of schedule or just feel like I know what's going on but every day is random. He's super good about it but I feel like I should be doing better."

"Hey, don't beat yourself up. If he's working crazy hours there's not much you can do." He's thinking so I don't interrupt. "Maybe you need structured stuff instead of times. But you probably already have that, his dishes and toys and what not. I guess I was thinking that even if dinner was at some random time every night, if Finn sat at the same place with his placemat and cup and his silverware and always helped you clean up or whatever, that might help. But saying it out loud, you probably already do that."

"Yeah, some. He has bendy straw cups but we don't have much stuff. Maybe I need some real basic lessons Quincy, what does he need? What's some little shit I can do to help keep him in headspace and make things easier?"

He's chuckling. "Little. Speaking of little shits, here they come. Hey bunny!" Rhys plops right onto his lap.

"We needs a snack please."

He pushes Rhys' hair all over to the side. "I bet you do. Let me see what I brought you. You boys wrap up in your towels and dry your hands first.

I don't know why I'm surprised when they both listen but I am. "Cooler now?" I tease. Quincy is now mostly soaked.

"Perfect. Hey, I've got fruit and graham crackers with peanut butter, he allergic?" he asks me.

"Nope." Snacks are one thing I didn't even think about this morning so it's really nice of Quincy to share. He pulls out two adorable plastic bins with animals on the front and hands them each one, along with a juice box. "Wow, how cool is that, Finny?"

  "Wow, how cool is that, Finny?"