Going home

Emmett:

I've had blood taken twice, an IV put in for no reason, and done a lot of waiting. Then I got a CT scan and got checked over by a neurologist who, thank god for years of schooling, thinks I have a concussion. No shit. Now I'm waiting, again. I have no idea what I'm still doing here.

"Hey Em, how are you?"

Finn. He shouldn't be here, he should be working but I'm too tired to argue. "Tired. Want some ibuprofen and to go home."

"Let me see what I can do about that. I'm gonna tell the doctor we're brothers." Damn it, laughing hurts. He's gone so I lie back and close my eyes again. "The nurse will be here within 10 minutes. You have to sign some things and then we can go."

That sounds familiar. "They said that an hour ago."

"Relax, I'll handle it, bro."

Bro?!?! "Don't make me laugh."

"Sorry" he whispers. "Rest." Can do. A few minutes later a nurse actually arrives and I get print-outs and have to tell them my birthday yet again. I let Finn do most of the talking and before long he's pushing me towards the elevator in a wheelchair.

"I can walk."

"And I can push." I think it but don't say it so of course he does. "As proven at the beach. Seriously, bad things never happen there, we should go back."

That's actually sounding really good right now but I'd rather be in bed. He holds the chair and hovers while I climb into his SUV. "Glad it's higher, easier." Seriously, I'm falling in love with this car. "Can we get McDonalds?" What can I say? It's comfort food. I want a whole carton of piping hot fries. And a big mac. And an apple pie. So I tell him so.

"Whatever you want today, sweetheart."

Sweetheart? He's sweet. "I'm not sweet."

"You are literally the kindest, sweetest guy I've ever met. Granted, you're a bit grumpy right now but you have a good reason to be. Okay hold on, food imminent."

I close my eyes while he orders and pays and don't open them again until he puts a steaming bag on my lap. "Thank you."

"Anytime. Home?"

"Yeah." When we get home he makes me wait while he brings down a sheet and bed pillows for the couch. He drapes the sheet over the seat and back, helps me out of my clothes, and then installs me on the extra snuggly couch. I get a blanket, my McDonalds, a bottle of water, Tylenol and the remote. I doubt I'll watch but it's a nice thought. "Thanks darling."

"Anything else you need? I wanna read these discharge papers."

"You don't need to read those, I just have a concussion and a stupid gash on my head. You should go back to work if you need to."

"I figured Tylenol would be better because of the head wound.  I'm not going back to work, Emmett. I'll check in later and do some work from home tomorrow but right now I'm all yours."

"I'm just going to eat and then rest until the pills kick in. Wake me up in two hours or I won't be able to sleep later. If you can't wake me up or I start vomiting all over the place, call the hospital." There, now he doesn't need to read the papers.

*** *** ***

"Em? Emmett?"

Huh? Oh. My head! Owww. Finn. "Hey darling."

"Thank god, I was sort of scared to try to wake you up because if I couldn't... but you're fine. Need anything?"

"To piss." He helps me off the couch as if I'm an invalid and shadows me to the bathroom. "Gonna hold my cock, too?"

"Somehow I doubt that would help you pee. God, I hope it wouldn't."

"No, no darling it wouldn't. You holding me is not exactly relaxing. Go, I'm fine."

"I'll wait right outside."

Fine. I haven't been mothered like this since, well, it's been a long time. I would complain except that I doubt it would do any good and I don't want to. It's kind of nice, actually. I make sure to wash my hands really well since he's listening. I need him to cut off this stupid bracelet. He'll be glad to help.

He puts me back on the couch and brings me a book and then he does something that means a lot.  He puts his box of toys on the coffee table.  "You can play with them if you want."